In English, many things are named after a particular country – but have you ever wondered what those things are called in those countries?
1(in boxing)masculine K. O.
1noquear informaldejar fuera de combate
- His final 5 bouts following the McClellan tragedy ended with a record of 2-3 with Benn being KO'd on 2 of those occasions.
- Conn had KO'd his last four opponents, including heavyweights Buddy Knox and Gunnar Barlund, both in the 8th rounds.
- It's sort of like when Buster Douglas KO'd Mike Tyson.
- Those days may have ended when Mike Tyson got KO'd by Buster Douglas.
- In his first fight as a pro, Foreman KO'd Don Waldheim in the third round an hour before Frazier and Quarry fought.
English has borrowed many of the following foreign expressions of parting, so you’ve probably encountered some of these ways to say goodbye in other languages.
Many words formed by the addition of the suffix –ster are now obsolete - which ones are due a resurgence?
As their breed names often attest, dogs are a truly international bunch. Let’s take a look at 12 different dog breed names and their backstories.