In English, many things are named after a particular country – but have you ever wondered what those things are called in those countries?
1chiflado masculine informalchiflada feminine informalmajareta feminine Spain informal
- I won't reveal more, but the conclusion unwittingly undermines its support for the cause by making activists and supporters look like uncompassionate, extremist kooks.
- Along the way, she meets a cavalcade of kooks and strange creatures including Tweedledee and Tweedledum, the White Queen, the White Knight, Humpty Dumpty, and the Jabberwocky.
- Back in the 1970s, its supporters were considered kooks and lunatics.
- I worry just as much, however, about the kooks out there who think that now is the time to plant a bomb.
- And it is presumably true by definition that ‘kooks’ will be excluded by a higher intellectual standards but why does a higher intellectual standard exclude right-wing kooks only?
- We can't trust those religious kooks to be fair minded, you know.
- It's better to be able to figure out who the kooks are by their own words, so that one may treat them with the cold contempt they deserve.
- It's a site dedicated to ‘cranks, crackpots, kooks, and loons on the Web.’
- They may become obsessed or enraptured, but also inevitably enraged because as their vision begins to grow, so does the rumor that they are simply deluded kooks that will never actually get it off the ground.
- They think that ‘there are too many kooks out there.’
- His popularity has plummeted over the last year as he's made one rightward lurch after another in order to appeal to the misanthropic kooks who hold sway in the GOP presidential primaries.
- ‘He seeks out kooks and spends money like a drunken sailor in port,’ said RNC spokesman Michael Collins, obviously not the son of a Navy man.
- The kooks who said they were at war with their government are now completely silent now that a real tyrant is in power.
- That's one nice thing about kooks - just when you think you couldn't expect them to get any dumber, one of them comes up with something utterly flabbergasting.
- You will even meet a lot of kooks who will tell you things like ‘your dog got hit by a car because God is punishing you for being an unwed teenage mother.’
- The articles on here are certainly interesting, but there seems to be an inordinate number of kooks contributing.
- The only people who cite the Columbia study are kooks and religious zealots.
- The holistic view of healthy living is now normal, no longer the territory of Birkenstock-wearing kooks and foreigners.
- Neither of them are kooks, they've simply been lied to by the people who are in charge.
- He always seemed to be the one more into creating dance music, while Hyde and Smith were the experimental, progressive kooks, but that isn't the case here.
English has borrowed many of the following foreign expressions of parting, so you’ve probably encountered some of these ways to say goodbye in other languages.
Many words formed by the addition of the suffix –ster are now obsolete - which ones are due a resurgence?
As their breed names often attest, dogs are a truly international bunch. Let’s take a look at 12 different dog breed names and their backstories.