In English, many things are named after a particular country – but have you ever wondered what those things are called in those countries?
- Others say it's to put your cash into krugerrands.
- We have seen quite a few people coming out of the woodwork selling the krugerrands they got in the sixties.
- It is used in the manufacture of coins such as krugerrands.
- And after that simple little speech, and of course seeing the home, seeing what she did there, the pilgrims were throwing krugerrands into collection plates.
- In 1977, the American comedienne Bette Midler demanded that she be paid $600,000 for a European tour in South African gold krugerrands.
English has borrowed many of the following foreign expressions of parting, so you’ve probably encountered some of these ways to say goodbye in other languages.
Many words formed by the addition of the suffix –ster are now obsolete - which ones are due a resurgence?
As their breed names often attest, dogs are a truly international bunch. Let’s take a look at 12 different dog breed names and their backstories.