In English, many things are named after a particular country – but have you ever wondered what those things are called in those countries?
- Finally, the blade was coated with a tough, protective layer of clear lacquer.
- Polyurethane has pretty much replaced varnish, shellac, and lacquer.
- Polyester brushes should not be used with shellacs and lacquers.
- To finish his works, Gianakos applies a layer of protective lacquer that makes the wrinkles and variegations in tone permanent.
- The newer synthetic lacquers are more durable, however older lacquered pieces and many imports have finishes affected by some solvents, so test every product first on an inconspicuous area.
- Floors finished with lacquer or shellac are nearly impossible to repair successfully.
- Do not apply urethane varnish over a coat of shellac or lacquer.
- Putting a lacquer on the outside of a piece of timber and having zinc oxide nano particulates embedded in that lacquer makes that lacquer protective against ultra violet radiation.
- They also painted the torpedo in anti-graffiti paint to hopefully deter any future negative social behaviour and coated the nose cone in a clear metal lacquer.
- If this method dissolves the finish, you know you are working with lacquer.
- Clear finishes would include lacquer, shellac, varnish, tung and Danish oil, linseed oil, as well as polyurethane.
- He seldom applied surface decoration other than subtly toned lacquers to protect the metal against tarnishing.
- Polyester filaments work in most paints, stains, varnishes, shellacs and lacquers.
- A primer is then applied to fill in any small holes, followed by a coat of paint and another layer of protective lacquer until the alloys are almost as good as new.
- Such natural bristle brushes are best suited for use with oil-base paints and stains, varnishes, lacquers and shellacs.
- After arranging them on boards with handmade paper and acrylic paint, she seals them with layers of lacquer.
- Spots on all finishes except lacquer can be treated with a cloth dampened with spirits of camphor, essence of peppermint or oil of wintergreen.
- Finish highly detailed natural and stained wood with spray lacquer, shellac or polyurethane.
- If the finish is lacquer, mineral spirits might work.
- It may be that the only way to remove the smell from the inside will be to remove and discard the liner, then seal the interior surface with lacquer or shellac to seal in the odor, then install a new liner.
2(for nails)esmalte de uñas masculine
3laca (para el pelo) femininefijador (para el pelo) masculine
1(surface/wood) laquear(wood/surface) lacarto lacquer one's nails — pintarse las uñas
- to lacquer one's hair — ponerse laca / fijador en el pelo
English has borrowed many of the following foreign expressions of parting, so you’ve probably encountered some of these ways to say goodbye in other languages.
Many words formed by the addition of the suffix –ster are now obsolete - which ones are due a resurgence?
As their breed names often attest, dogs are a truly international bunch. Let’s take a look at 12 different dog breed names and their backstories.