In English, many things are named after a particular country – but have you ever wondered what those things are called in those countries?
- And they perform far more skillfully in soccer, lacrosse and softball than they do in basketball.
- The game has been called the king of one-horse sports and is described as a mix of polo and lacrosse.
- Now of course, this game wasn't called lacrosse by native Americans; they had all sorts of different names for it.
- Even someone who has never played the game can find lacrosse quite entertaining.
- The ancient game of lacrosse has been hit by the soccer disease - violence.
- Why was the Duke lacrosse team allowed to play two games before its season was suspended?
- Even in indoor lacrosse they dress like hockey goalies, with a huge chest protector and huge gloves.
- For Georgie, 24, a keen sportswoman who has played both volleyball and lacrosse competitively, her new post also fulfils a dream.
- He told me once that he thought he was even better at lacrosse than at football.
- A dozen Queen Margaret's School, Escrick, students have been selected for the county's hockey and lacrosse teams.
- In addition, he has been a volunteer coach for youth athletics in football, basketball and lacrosse.
- Shinty, lacrosse and, my personal favourite, hockey, are all played and watched by large number of Scots every week.
- When I was at school and we played lacrosse, our teacher made a rule that only people not on the school team could score.
- For instance, how would Sir Alex have responded if the local lacrosse team had kicked his players off their training pitch?
- He was captain of his ski and lacrosse teams and senior-class president.
- I coached football and lacrosse at State University of New York at Albany.
- She dons lots of Adidas and, whether playing lacrosse, tennis, soccer or hoops, she's always on the ball!
- We are playing some good lacrosse, but we are letting ourselves down by not competing for the full 80 minutes.
- I was more of a hockey, tennis and lacrosse person at school.
- The club, originally formed in 1872, hosts cricket, tennis, hockey, squash, racquet ball and lacrosse.
English has borrowed many of the following foreign expressions of parting, so you’ve probably encountered some of these ways to say goodbye in other languages.
Many words formed by the addition of the suffix –ster are now obsolete - which ones are due a resurgence?
As their breed names often attest, dogs are a truly international bunch. Let’s take a look at 12 different dog breed names and their backstories.