In English, many things are named after a particular country – but have you ever wondered what those things are called in those countries?
- For me, bumble-bees and ladybirds are not the only signs of spring.
- Useful insects include silkworms and ladybirds that predate upon aphids.
- Like many of our endemic species of ladybirds, these beetles have handsome red-and-black coloration.
- Many insects, such as ground beetles, hoverflies and ladybirds, can keep pests under control - but not if they've been destroyed by chemical sprays.
- There is at least one example where PA accumulated by aphids from their host plant are in turn sequestered by the aphid's predator, ladybird beetles.
English has borrowed many of the following foreign expressions of parting, so you’ve probably encountered some of these ways to say goodbye in other languages.
Many words formed by the addition of the suffix –ster are now obsolete - which ones are due a resurgence?
As their breed names often attest, dogs are a truly international bunch. Let’s take a look at 12 different dog breed names and their backstories.