In English, many things are named after a particular country – but have you ever wondered what those things are called in those countries?
1mariquita femininepetaca feminine Colombiachinita feminine ChileSan Antonio masculine Uruguayvaca de San Antón feminine Argentina
- We're building habitats to encourage birds, butterflies, dragonflies and ladybugs to our gardens.
- They are multicolored Asian ladybugs or ladybird beetles, first introduced to the southern United States to control aphids.
- After the read aloud, the text was extended as children examined pictures of a cricket, a ground beetle, and ladybugs, and they made comments and comparisons.
- Green lacewings, like ladybugs, diminish aphid and mealybug populations, as well as thrips.
- The larvae of ladybugs and green lacewings are also hunters of small, soft-bodied insect pests.
English has borrowed many of the following foreign expressions of parting, so you’ve probably encountered some of these ways to say goodbye in other languages.
Many words formed by the addition of the suffix –ster are now obsolete - which ones are due a resurgence?
As their breed names often attest, dogs are a truly international bunch. Let’s take a look at 12 different dog breed names and their backstories.