In English, many things are named after a particular country – but have you ever wondered what those things are called in those countries?
- Puman was taken to India at the age of six to be trained as a Tibetan Buddhist lama, while his parents stayed in Taiwan.
- The high-frequency sounds of the maraca have been used by American Indian shamans for healing and by Tibetan lamas to uplift the soul.
- So the ceremony actually involved five monks - it involved a Sri Lankan monk, a Burmese monk, a Thai monk, a Tibetan lama and an Australian monk.
- I told her the lamas I had been around were mostly non-drinkers.
- For men, a middle name is given by the lama, a Buddhist holy man.
- The Tibetan lamas were delighted with these donations and thanked us.
- Venerable Lama Samten is one of the resident lamas at Karma Choeling Buddhist Monastery, Kaukapakapa, New Zealand.
- Mongols sought the counsel and help of the lama (priest or monk) for every aspect of their life: migration, marriage, childbirth, disease, and death.
- I remember my father and other members of the older generation of Tibetan lamas saying that they didn't blame the Communist Chinese for the destruction of Tibet.
- Consequently, the great majority of Gelugpa lamas are monks and the master who is a layman is a rarity.
- In 1717, the Qing Dynasty Emperor Kangxi sent lamas to create a map of Tibet.
- Ricard, himself a Buddhist lama, is the French translator for the Dalai Lama and has photographed life in Tibet and Nepal for 30 years.
- She was very much like a Zen monk, or a lama, or my guru.
- The Jewel Heart centers have a humanitarian wing that provides financial assistance to young Tibetan lamas at monasteries-in-exile in India.
- There is quite an old tradition of married lamas, who can be just as revered as spiritual teachers as those who follow the monastic tradition.
- No doubt, becoming a student involves finding an appropriate teacher, irrespective of whether that teacher is a bhante, lama, rinpoche, sensei or roshi.
- Many lamas came to India as refugees around the time Khandro Rinpoche was born in 1967, and settled in the areas close to the borders of Tibet.
- So he sent three lamas to my next course in Sarnath.
- Inner Mongolia, like Tibet, is an Autonomous Region of China, and during the Cultural Revolution the Mongolian lamas were forbidden to practice their religion or wear their robes.
- If you are searching for other mentions of individual lamas and teachers, past and present, the Search Engine may help.
English has borrowed many of the following foreign expressions of parting, so you’ve probably encountered some of these ways to say goodbye in other languages.
Many words formed by the addition of the suffix –ster are now obsolete - which ones are due a resurgence?
As their breed names often attest, dogs are a truly international bunch. Let’s take a look at 12 different dog breed names and their backstories.