In English, many things are named after a particular country – but have you ever wondered what those things are called in those countries?
1(table, standard etc)lámpara feminineelectric/gas/oil lamp — lámpara eléctrica/de gas/de aceite
- miner's lamp — linterna de minero
- before noun lamp bracket — aplique
- lamp holder — portalámparas
- There were no street lights in those days, merely gas lamps which were lit manually sometimes well after darkness had fallen.
- There were beads hanging in all the doorways and coloured light bulbs in all the lamps and sockets.
- The color balance will be natural in the areas lit by daylight but have a warm glow in areas lit by the lamp and candles.
- A guard came in, lighting the candles and lamps on the table, then the torches on the walls.
- Several years ago I found a store just three miles away that sold only lamps and lamp shades.
- Ghost switched her lamp off and they both went to sleep.
- Without heating or electricity, they cook on butane stoves, warm themselves with paraffin heaters and use candles and lamps for lighting.
- The bulb in the shell-shaped lamp on the wall flickered like a strobe light and painted irregular shadows on the walls.
- He cooks by heating pans over a coal fire, while dozens of candles and a paraffin lamp provide him with light.
- I switched on my bedside lamp and looked at the alarm clock.
- His father turned on a small lamp with a rose-colored shade, which cast a dull light across a wide bed, spread with a plum satin coverlet.
- Neon lights decorated official buildings and literally hundreds of oil-lit earthen lamps covered balconies and ramparts, stairs and yards of homes.
- You should also consider compact fluorescent lamps for areas where lights are on for hours at a time.
- Now they were in a small corridor, dimly lit by burning lamps.
- Attendants scurried about the room lighting lamps and candles.
- You may want spotlights, mood lighting from lamps or feature lighting for your dining table and sofa.
- As it gets dark, behind the windows partly blocked by sandbags, they light a paraffin lamp.
- Yawning, I pad over to my desk and switch on the lamp.
- The living room was just as I remembered it, with a single lamp covered with a stained glass shade illuminating the entire room.
- There is also a variety of gas lights and lamps, which are especially good to have at home during the storm season when blackouts can occur anytime.
3Motor Vehiclesluz feminine
English has borrowed many of the following foreign expressions of parting, so you’ve probably encountered some of these ways to say goodbye in other languages.
Many words formed by the addition of the suffix –ster are now obsolete - which ones are due a resurgence?
As their breed names often attest, dogs are a truly international bunch. Let’s take a look at 12 different dog breed names and their backstories.