- Several fish, such as the sea lamprey, Atlantic sturgeon, alewife, Atlantic salmon and American eel live most of their lives in the ocean but enter freshwater to spawn.
- Modern adult lampreys measure anywhere from about 6 to 40 inches long.
- Litman next plans to look for novel immune genes in jawless vertebrates, such as lamprey and hagfish.
- Sure enough, lampreys are simple vertebrates lacking jaws, teeth and a bony skeleton, whereas sharks are much more complex animals.
- These conditions support a rich diversity of invertebrate life and important game fisheries, such as brown trout, brook lamprey, salmon, crayfish, and otter.