In English, many things are named after a particular country – but have you ever wondered what those things are called in those countries?
- At York, the carriage ride will be briefer but a lot noisier, as the Ascot landaus make their way past stands crowded with up to 56,000 race-goers.
- ‘The Royal Mews is planning to take four Ascot landaus, 24 grey horses and all the necessary staff north,’ said Mr Wilkie.
- I am not being drawn into a slanging match with the defenders of horse-drawn landaus on Blackpool Prom.
- I must decline the offer of spending a day on the busy promenade with a landau as I would find the experience far too upsetting.
- The landaus are lightweight open carriages, with facing seats and low bodywork which enables a clear view of the passengers.
- Mervont slapped his hands on Rodlian's shoulders and climbed to the front seat of the landau, pulling on the reins of the pair horse.
- He built a carriage with a convertible top that ‘was smiled at by his friends and sneered at by his enemies,’ but, as she noted, landaus were a common sight on American roads not long after his death.
- Today's historic rehearsal saw two Ascot landaus and nine horses, based at the Royal Mews, Buckingham Palace, gently wind their way down six furlongs.
- Accompanied by the Duke of Edinburgh, she made her entrance to the main arena at the show in Ardingly, West Sussex, in a horse-drawn landau flanked by members of the King's Troop.
- A courtesan arrives in a landau drawn by water buffalo; a bathtub is also a relic of a convict's escape.
- Queen Margrethe of Denmark and Queen Silvia of Sweden followed in the second Ascot landau with the Prince of Wales and the Duke of York.
- The Royal Procession, started by George IV in 1825, is steeped in history, and involves landaus, light carriages used for short distances, the first of which was made in 1838.
- In the grand finale to the show Mr Bourne-Arton and his wife Gillian were driven from the main ring in a landau pulled by two black Friesian horses after handing over his staff of office to Lord Hotham, whose home is in East Yorkshire.
- The fashionably dressed churchgoers are returning from Matins, several of them in a landau.
- So you can visit the faded but still fun Dr Who experience, or ride down the sea front on a horse-drawn landau.
- Mr Smith had 30 horses, which were stabled on the upper floor of the building, and a fleet of wagonettes, gigs, landaus, hearses, wedding and mourning coaches, which entered by a ramp at the front entrance.
- For the Queen arriving in an open landau at the Saskatchewan Legislature it's no problem.
English has borrowed many of the following foreign expressions of parting, so you’ve probably encountered some of these ways to say goodbye in other languages.
Many words formed by the addition of the suffix –ster are now obsolete - which ones are due a resurgence?
As their breed names often attest, dogs are a truly international bunch. Let’s take a look at 12 different dog breed names and their backstories.