In English, many things are named after a particular country – but have you ever wondered what those things are called in those countries?
- Landholders who have owned a property for a long period may tend to have developed a larger attachment value to the property than landholders who have only owned the property for a short period.
- As is well known, this sector modified the structure of land tenancy to favor large landholders who maintain links with narco-trafficking.
- Although in theory a bondi had a farm of his own, in practice most young men had to live with their parents, or farm the lands of a large landholder.
- Here, once again, the losses to the landholders would exceed the gains to wage-earners.
- Similarly in urban areas landholders have anticipated clearing land for residential and other urban uses.
- When, in the course of administering town planning, a public planning authority approves an application by or on behalf of a landholder to use land for a more intensive use, the value of the land is increased.
- It will sterilise vast tracts of land and further take away the right of farmers and landholders to manage their property.
- The landholders could now be numbered by the hundred thousand, but so also could landless men.
- Thus, the prospective return for such a landholder must fall relative to that of those who intend to make improvements on the land, regardless of the percentage of rent taken by the tax.
- No unearned windfall profit would accrue to the landholder.
- As large landholders, they had sufficient trees on their private land to meet their needs and did not need to use community forests for forest products.
- While the profits perceived to be made by big landholders are deplored, all citizens hope to profit from owning land.
- Development controls might encourage landholders to use their lands for both scenic and productive purposes, and to retain native vegetation.
- In cases of restitution where land has been restored to the original owners, former landholders have been able to continue using the land through leasing arrangements.
- But the rent that is left to the landholder would not be at a constant level.
- The inequity of allowing windfall profits to be appropriated by private landholders can thus be demonstrated more clearly than in George's day.
- No we'll pay the same rates as those landholders paid, the value of that land hasn't gone down yet but I'm very, very interested to see that if that's the case.
- That meant that landholders and land managers had to do what was required to reduce the population.
- It passed reform measures to benefit the peasantry, decreasing the amount of land that large landholders were able to acquire and doing away with compensation for expropriated estates.
- The bulk of the increased land value accrues to the landholder as an unearned gift from the community.
English has borrowed many of the following foreign expressions of parting, so you’ve probably encountered some of these ways to say goodbye in other languages.
Many words formed by the addition of the suffix –ster are now obsolete - which ones are due a resurgence?
As their breed names often attest, dogs are a truly international bunch. Let’s take a look at 12 different dog breed names and their backstories.