In English, many things are named after a particular country – but have you ever wondered what those things are called in those countries?
1(of landed estate)terrateniente masculinehacendado masculine
- For example, how exactly will landlords and tenants bring disputes before the board?
- Catholic tenant farmers are withholding rents from their Protestant landlords.
- It used to be the case that people either got a council house, rented from a private landlord or got a mortgage to buy their home.
- Others look to the peasantry to form armed bands which can take land from the big landlords and distribute it to the poor.
- Here he witnessed how the Irish were treated not just by the army but also by the landlords who owned the land there.
- They aren't really housemates, just people who happen to rent from the same landlord.
- Almost a tenth of all houses in Swindon are occupied by tenants renting from private landlords.
- Some landlords also use supermarket billboards and cards in newsagent's windows.
- Some land was owned by landlords who rented to cultivators, some was in the hands of owner-operators.
- In some parts there are basically too many landlords chasing too few tenants, which is pushing down rents.
- The goal is to educate tenants about the legal amount their landlord can up their rent.
- In the interim, she decided to set up a company that would unify potential tenants and landlords.
- The majority of families forced to rent from private landlords will be no better off than before.
- The mid-terrace unit is held by the current landlord on a long lease with a nominal rent.
- A lot of landlords are finding it difficult to accept lower rents and one or two have actually sold.
- The relationship between landlords and tenants is a recurring theme in Irish history.
- With each new tenant, landlords can increase the rent by as much as they like.
- Special tax breaks are available to landlords who intend renting their property to tourists.
- The oversupply of rental property has resulted in landlords cutting rents to attract tenants.
- Over 80 percent are kept empty by private landlords, banks and building societies.
2(of rented dwelling)casero masculinedueño masculinearrendador masculinemy landlord — el dueño de mi casa (or apartamento etc.)
3British(of pub)masculine dueñomasculine patrónmasculine encargado
- A tapas bar landlord in Hull has lost his license because he allowed his clients to drink standing up.
- Christopher Genders, 56, a former pub landlord, is out tending his garden.
- It's a far cry from the message that went out last month when licensing officials urged landlords not to rush applications.
- Now the police are keen to extend the scheme to the whole of Craven and will write to landlords and licensees explaining how it works.
- He called for landlords, the drinks industry and hoteliers to work together to ease the passage of the Bill.
- If louts strike at one pub or club, landlords and managers can get onto the phone to the next pub to tell the doormen who to look out for.
- Police said the pair waited until the pub was empty before bursting in as the landlord and the barmaid were cashing up.
- You'd be better off going to your local pub landlord and starting you own comedy club.
- Terry was later landlord of the public house that bore his name at Athgarvan Cross.
- A young woman wept in court as a jury cleared her of causing the death of a former pub landlord.
- Croydon Council managed to solve the problem by providing landlords with their licences by the next day.
- There will also be informal ballots organised by individual landlords at hundreds of pubs in Manchester.
- Shortly afterwards, Gough punched a drinker, who had to be taken outside by the landlord.
- A village pub landlord told today how his wife and barman were threatened with knives by armed raiders.
English has borrowed many of the following foreign expressions of parting, so you’ve probably encountered some of these ways to say goodbye in other languages.
Many words formed by the addition of the suffix –ster are now obsolete - which ones are due a resurgence?
As their breed names often attest, dogs are a truly international bunch. Let’s take a look at 12 different dog breed names and their backstories.