In English, many things are named after a particular country – but have you ever wondered what those things are called in those countries?
1masa continental feminine
- Scotland's forests grew after the last Ice Age to eventually cover 80% of the land mass.
- The area, part of a land mass that once joined Britain to northern Europe, disappeared about 8,000 years ago.
- It contains one fifth the land mass of the entire continental U.S.
- The force of a monsoon is driven by the continental land mass being hotter than the surrounding oceans.
- Its land mass covers a vast territory in eastern Asia.
- She views her work as closely connected to Easter Island, a small land mass with ancient traditions off the shore of Chile.
- With a land mass about the same size as the UK or Japan and a population of just under 4 million people, New Zealand is one of the least crowded places on earth.
- Philip also had a far more compact principality to defend than the sprawling land mass of the Angevin empire in France, which took up in expenditure much of the revenue generated.
- Alternatively, New Holland and New South Wales might indeed be part of the same land mass, forming a single continent.
- When you spread a large population over a large land mass, broadband coverage is a much more expensive endeavor than it is in, say, Britain.
- This stress was to lead to the break-up of the land mass, first appearing in the vicinity of the South Atlantic and the Indian Ocean.
- One land mass, which eventually separated into Africa and South America, drifted south, while another moved north.
- Apparently Britain had moved a millimetre, it's so weird to contemplate that an earthquake can move a land mass that's so far away.
- Instead, what is now the Lombardy region and some parts of Switzerland must have been a single land mass by the Jurassic period.
- One consequence of the purchase was that the United States nearly doubled its land mass and became one of the world's largest countries.
- If the path of the front took it over the ocean, then its moisture content will be increased but a body of air that travels across a land mass will remain dry.
- Although a small country, with a land mass of 18,919 square miles, Slovakia's topography varies widely.
- When they had the rain on, and I saw all this blue stuff coming over the land mass, I thought it was flooding.
- Experts said China, with its large land mass in the north and the west and a coastline stretching thousands of kilometres, was blessed with wind resources.
- The USSR covered a huge land mass and was a police state whose reach extended into every Soviet home as well as various places around the world.
English has borrowed many of the following foreign expressions of parting, so you’ve probably encountered some of these ways to say goodbye in other languages.
Many words formed by the addition of the suffix –ster are now obsolete - which ones are due a resurgence?
As their breed names often attest, dogs are a truly international bunch. Let’s take a look at 12 different dog breed names and their backstories.