In English, many things are named after a particular country – but have you ever wondered what those things are called in those countries?
- Smaller cysts can sometimes be removed using a surgical technique called laparoscopy.
- At the time, diagnostic laparoscopies were well accepted, but surgical attempts - apart from gynaecological sterilisation - were considered experimental and therefore unethical.
- During laparoscopy, an incision is made in your abdominal wall and the laparoscope - an instrument similar to an endoscope - is inserted to look for cancer.
- This occurred 10 days after a diagnostic laparoscopy for which she had had a laryngeal mask airway inserted.
- Another means of detecting pelvic disease that might contribute to infertility is by a surgical procedure called laparoscopy.
- Treatment does not correct tubal damage but prevents reactivation if laparoscopy or other pelvic surgery is indicated.
- Diagnostic laparoscopy was performed, which revealed dilated veins in the omentum and falciform ligament, a nodular liver, and a mass in the right lower quadrant.
- The surgeon also instructs the patient scheduled for surgical laparoscopy about the possibility of converting to a laparotomy if a malignancy is discovered.
- Sites need not be marked for other procedures including those with a midline incision, cesarean-sections, laparotomies, and laparoscopies.
- And this was being used for other types of surgery including hysterectomies, laparoscopies and prolapse repairs.
- A blood type and screen also is performed in the event vessels are transected during the laparoscopy or if the laparoscopic procedure fails and a laparotomy becomes necessary.
- If the findings of imaging are inconclusive, a staging laparoscopy or laparotomy may be done before definitive surgery.
- There was a short remission period following the surgery, but the patient complained of recurrent abdominal pain and a laparoscopy was performed.
- Often it is carried out as ‘keyhole’ surgery during a laparoscopy and may include the use of laser surgery techniques.
- At laparoscopy, multinodular tumor implants on the surfaces of the ovaries were observed, and a biopsy was performed.
- On September 1, 1997 a laparoscopy (surgery using a viewing tube called a laparoscope) was performed.
- In some patients, the fundoplication can be performed using minimally invasive surgery, or laparoscopy.
- The patient underwent a laparoscopy with incidental appendectomy.
- After a laparoscopy you are likely to feel some pain in the abdomen as well as ‘referred pain’ (caused by the gas used to inflate the abdomen) in the shoulders.
- During laparoscopy, insufflation of the abdomen moves the abdominal wall away from the intra-abdominal contents.
English has borrowed many of the following foreign expressions of parting, so you’ve probably encountered some of these ways to say goodbye in other languages.
Many words formed by the addition of the suffix –ster are now obsolete - which ones are due a resurgence?
As their breed names often attest, dogs are a truly international bunch. Let’s take a look at 12 different dog breed names and their backstories.