In English, many things are named after a particular country – but have you ever wondered what those things are called in those countries?
- Eggs are drought resistant and lay on the ground, where the larvae scavenge on dead insects.
- Goldfish feed on crustaceans, insect larvae, molluscs and some vegetation.
- The nest held 206 cells, six of which contained larvae in various stages of development.
- On the breeding grounds, insects and insect larvae are the most important source of food.
- The life cycle of a butterfly includes four stages: egg, caterpillar or larva, pupa, and adult.
- There, the larva develops into a pupa, more closely resembling an adult phorid.
- Residual insecticide will kill only larvae and adults; it will not kill eggs or pupae.
- They appear in the morning and fly over turf in search of beetle grubs or the larvae of other insects.
- During the breeding season, aquatic insect larvae become a predominant part of the diet.
- Once enshrouded in silk, the larva enters a new stage, that of the pupa.
- During the breeding season, insects and insect larvae are the primary sources of food.
- Once the snout contacted an ant larva or pupa, the snake would slide the ventral surface of its snout over the top of the prey until the prey item was positioned at or near the front of the mouth.
- A pupa is an insect in the intermediate stage between larva and adult; the term chrysalis is used of a butterfly or moth in this intermediate stage.
- The hatchet fish has a diet which is composed primarily of insects and larvae.
- Putsi flies have normal four life cycle stage like most insects - egg, larvae, pupa and adult.
- All flies pass through four life stages: egg, larva, pupa and adult.
- If not, the larva becomes a pupa only once it has been fully provisioned, and its actual development duration then exceeds the minimum duration.
- Once the snake's head contacted an ant larva or pupa, the snake maneuvered its head so that its mouth was positioned directly over the prey.
- Stilt Sandpipers eat a wide variety of insects and insect larvae during the breeding season.
- In Nebraska it overwinters as a larvae or pupae under manure piles or in other breeding areas.
English has borrowed many of the following foreign expressions of parting, so you’ve probably encountered some of these ways to say goodbye in other languages.
Many words formed by the addition of the suffix –ster are now obsolete - which ones are due a resurgence?
As their breed names often attest, dogs are a truly international bunch. Let’s take a look at 12 different dog breed names and their backstories.