In English, many things are named after a particular country – but have you ever wondered what those things are called in those countries?
1desesperadoa last-ditch attempt — un intento desesperado
- And she has come to the American capital in a last-ditch attempt to preserve her people's unique way of life.
- York council planners are making a last-ditch attempt to stop an amusement arcade being opened in a city high street.
- Station staff were so determined to rescue the tortoiseshell cat they even stopped a train in a last-ditch attempt.
- The smear campaigns were shown to be just that - the last-ditch effort of desperate individuals to throw the vote.
- She enrolled on the training scheme as a last-ditch attempt to do something with her life.
- In a last-ditch attempt to get the ball rolling, we contacted our solicitor in Dublin for advice.
- This woman had gone to see her ex-husband in a last-ditch attempt to ‘give it another go’.
- Not even their spirited last-ditch attempt to corner the gay market can save them.
- They threw everything they had at the last-ditch rescue effort as Currie struggled to move play more than five yards from their own line.
- The last-ditch attempt by the so-called Old Guard of the committee now appears to have back-fired.
- In the meantime I am going to replace my blood with Lucozade as a last-ditch attempt to make it through the week without expiring.
- A last-ditch attempt to reverse the move was narrowly defeated after a furious town hall debate.
- Some even have to be given morphine in a last-ditch attempt to cure their addiction.
- A year ago today, she was undergoing a transatlantic bone marrow transplant in a last-ditch attempt to beat leukaemia.
- Talks began on July 14 between the union and employers in a last-ditch attempt to rescue the pay deal.
- A Lord and Lady are leading a last-ditch attempt to save a 19th century building from demolition.
- But there is still time for the papers to make last-ditch attempts to rally readers to their causes.
- Cotswold people are urged to join a last-ditch attempt to save the Alderman Knight special school in Tewkesbury.
- Arbitrators have been called in as a last-ditch attempt to avert strike action by hundreds of Yorkshire miners.
- Because last week a last-ditch attempt to save the centre failed.
English has borrowed many of the following foreign expressions of parting, so you’ve probably encountered some of these ways to say goodbye in other languages.
Many words formed by the addition of the suffix –ster are now obsolete - which ones are due a resurgence?
As their breed names often attest, dogs are a truly international bunch. Let’s take a look at 12 different dog breed names and their backstories.