In English, many things are named after a particular country – but have you ever wondered what those things are called in those countries?
1desesperadoa last-ditch attempt — un intento desesperado
- But there is still time for the papers to make last-ditch attempts to rally readers to their causes.
- The last-ditch attempt by the so-called Old Guard of the committee now appears to have back-fired.
- She enrolled on the training scheme as a last-ditch attempt to do something with her life.
- Talks began on July 14 between the union and employers in a last-ditch attempt to rescue the pay deal.
- Some even have to be given morphine in a last-ditch attempt to cure their addiction.
- Station staff were so determined to rescue the tortoiseshell cat they even stopped a train in a last-ditch attempt.
- This woman had gone to see her ex-husband in a last-ditch attempt to ‘give it another go’.
- Cotswold people are urged to join a last-ditch attempt to save the Alderman Knight special school in Tewkesbury.
- A last-ditch attempt to reverse the move was narrowly defeated after a furious town hall debate.
- Arbitrators have been called in as a last-ditch attempt to avert strike action by hundreds of Yorkshire miners.
- The smear campaigns were shown to be just that - the last-ditch effort of desperate individuals to throw the vote.
- A year ago today, she was undergoing a transatlantic bone marrow transplant in a last-ditch attempt to beat leukaemia.
- And she has come to the American capital in a last-ditch attempt to preserve her people's unique way of life.
- Because last week a last-ditch attempt to save the centre failed.
- A Lord and Lady are leading a last-ditch attempt to save a 19th century building from demolition.
- York council planners are making a last-ditch attempt to stop an amusement arcade being opened in a city high street.
- In the meantime I am going to replace my blood with Lucozade as a last-ditch attempt to make it through the week without expiring.
- They threw everything they had at the last-ditch rescue effort as Currie struggled to move play more than five yards from their own line.
- Not even their spirited last-ditch attempt to corner the gay market can save them.
- In a last-ditch attempt to get the ball rolling, we contacted our solicitor in Dublin for advice.
English has borrowed many of the following foreign expressions of parting, so you’ve probably encountered some of these ways to say goodbye in other languages.
Many words formed by the addition of the suffix –ster are now obsolete - which ones are due a resurgence?
As their breed names often attest, dogs are a truly international bunch. Let’s take a look at 12 different dog breed names and their backstories.