- Doctors would give babies phenobarbital for colic and laudanum (a form of opium) for teething.
- Morphine and laudanum addicts were usually seen as pitiful unfortunates living failed lives as a result of their habits.
- Within a year, addicted to laudanum and alcohol and grossly overweight, George IV was dead.
- Any painkillers containing opiates, such as laudanum, were out of the question until the concussion went away.
- She took laudanum for this, as was the fashion, a habit that brought her to the attention of a fellow poet, the opium addict Coleridge.