In English, many things are named after a particular country – but have you ever wondered what those things are called in those countries?
- From deep crevices we could feel the heat where lava had not as yet cooled from the last flow.
- Lightening crashed, thunder rolled, ash and molten lava spumed from the mountains.
- From here, millions of years ago, volcanic eruptions spilled lava over the land.
- The tuffs are associated with subordinate sandstones and siltstones and minor lava.
- This can explain where the information came from that produces living organisms in hot lava coming from a volcano.
- For volcanic rocks which cool from molten lavas, this would seem to be a reasonable assumption.
- The sun was setting beyond dark cumulous clouds which took on the appearance of volcanoes edged with lava.
- Bombs are pieces of molten lava that are thrown out of the volcano.
- By contrast, lavas emitted by Hawaiian volcanoes can flow for upwards of miles - they flow like rivers.
- Near-continuous volcanism has been occurring for at least the past 30 million years and continues to produce a wide variety of alkaline lavas and other volcanic products.
- The volcanic pile built up above sea level so that lavas began to be erupted subaerially.
- Much of the town is in flames as lava from a volcano began falling down on Thursday.
- Located at the southern tip of the Korean peninsula, Cheju has been shaped by volcanic lava.
- This landslide material was then embayed by lava when the central caldera was flooded.
- Suppose that the mountain erupts, leaving lava around the countryside.
- Other variants include feldspar-pyroxene-phyric lava and, rarely, aphyric lava.
- The tuffs and lava were derived from a nearby andesitic volcanic centre.
- They include lavas and volcaniclastic rocks of basaltic and andesitic composition together with cogenetic gabbros, plagiogranites and granites.
- In Tokaj-Hegyalja the soils are volcanic with a topsoil of decayed lava.
- Back then, the hot ash, lava and ensuing mud flows killed more than a thousand people.
English has borrowed many of the following foreign expressions of parting, so you’ve probably encountered some of these ways to say goodbye in other languages.
Many words formed by the addition of the suffix –ster are now obsolete - which ones are due a resurgence?
As their breed names often attest, dogs are a truly international bunch. Let’s take a look at 12 different dog breed names and their backstories.