In English, many things are named after a particular country – but have you ever wondered what those things are called in those countries?
- Much of the town is in flames as lava from a volcano began falling down on Thursday.
- The tuffs are associated with subordinate sandstones and siltstones and minor lava.
- Suppose that the mountain erupts, leaving lava around the countryside.
- Near-continuous volcanism has been occurring for at least the past 30 million years and continues to produce a wide variety of alkaline lavas and other volcanic products.
- Back then, the hot ash, lava and ensuing mud flows killed more than a thousand people.
- The tuffs and lava were derived from a nearby andesitic volcanic centre.
- From deep crevices we could feel the heat where lava had not as yet cooled from the last flow.
- This landslide material was then embayed by lava when the central caldera was flooded.
- This can explain where the information came from that produces living organisms in hot lava coming from a volcano.
- Lightening crashed, thunder rolled, ash and molten lava spumed from the mountains.
- Other variants include feldspar-pyroxene-phyric lava and, rarely, aphyric lava.
- For volcanic rocks which cool from molten lavas, this would seem to be a reasonable assumption.
- From here, millions of years ago, volcanic eruptions spilled lava over the land.
- By contrast, lavas emitted by Hawaiian volcanoes can flow for upwards of miles - they flow like rivers.
- The volcanic pile built up above sea level so that lavas began to be erupted subaerially.
- Bombs are pieces of molten lava that are thrown out of the volcano.
- The sun was setting beyond dark cumulous clouds which took on the appearance of volcanoes edged with lava.
- In Tokaj-Hegyalja the soils are volcanic with a topsoil of decayed lava.
- Located at the southern tip of the Korean peninsula, Cheju has been shaped by volcanic lava.
- They include lavas and volcaniclastic rocks of basaltic and andesitic composition together with cogenetic gabbros, plagiogranites and granites.
English has borrowed many of the following foreign expressions of parting, so you’ve probably encountered some of these ways to say goodbye in other languages.
Many words formed by the addition of the suffix –ster are now obsolete - which ones are due a resurgence?
As their breed names often attest, dogs are a truly international bunch. Let’s take a look at 12 different dog breed names and their backstories.