In English, many things are named after a particular country – but have you ever wondered what those things are called in those countries?
1agente del orden masculine
- In his incapacitated state the bogus lawman fell gratefully back onto the grass.
- The protesters sought police protection but a high-ranking officer ordered lawmen to withdraw and allowed the attackers to set upon the demonstrators.
- Now, the article says he has been co-operating with the lawmen, and that he spoke to his posse of followers and told them to remain quiet and not demonstrate!
- If a lawman or woman were judged on results and could be kicked out if he or she failed, you could guarantee one thing: fighting crime would be a number one priority.
- On account of this and the death of a number of our lawmen on the job, the Police have had to issue protective gear, like bullet-proof vests, to its members.
- Last week, the crowd of lawmen and women were lounging in Courtroom One as they waited for the judge to arrive.
- As such, early episodes represent an update of classic Westerns, with tough lawmen attempting to patrol the ‘new frontier’ which a change in society has wrought.
- It's identical to those used by many a Texas Ranger and other border lawmen in the early decades of the 20th century.
- The wife of a deceased lawman would never consider a proposal from a fugitive.
- Police officers are getting in bed with the bad guys and the corruption has caused several decorated lawmen to leave their posts.
- Western heroes are often lawmen, ranchers, army officers, or a fast-draw gunfighter.
- Eliot Ness was the intrepid lawman who busted Al Capone and was the bane of the Mob in 1930s Chicago.
- The posse, originally presented to be the finest lawmen in the country, isn't quite as upstanding as their image would suggest either.
- Not her husband and no longer her lover, he now relates to her in the only way he knows how, in the only way he has left: as a lawman enforcing Southern law.
- Thankfully, I do think based on recent reports that our lawmen are making good dents in the illegal drug trade here.
- The voices of the two lawmen were low, undetectable with the exception of Gordon's shouts, but when he realized that his voice was turned up, he would lower it again.
- This time players are lawmen in the old west trying to capture various outlaws.
- The probe took lawmen to the eastern United States to determine whether the inheritance, in fact, existed.
- Police department budgets were small, and town coffers often ran dry, so lawmen, being the crafty lot they are, solved their dilemma themselves.
- Having been acquitted in Canton, he was erroneously set free by lawmen who didn't see the orders to transport him back.
English has borrowed many of the following foreign expressions of parting, so you’ve probably encountered some of these ways to say goodbye in other languages.
Many words formed by the addition of the suffix –ster are now obsolete - which ones are due a resurgence?
As their breed names often attest, dogs are a truly international bunch. Let’s take a look at 12 different dog breed names and their backstories.