In English, many things are named after a particular country – but have you ever wondered what those things are called in those countries?
1(of house) distribución femenino(of town, garden) trazado masculino(of town, garden) plan masculinothe layout of the room — la forma en que están dispuestos los muebles en la habitación
- the car has a very clear instrument layout — el coche tiene un tablero muy bien diseñado
- [ S ]new road layout ahead — atención: nuevo sistema de circulación
- a model train layout — un circuito de tren eléctrico
- There are a number of items to consider, including layout, style, materials and products, safety issues, and building codes.
- Its worker-centered design process and interior layout display an unusual commitment to workplace openness.
- But the council's highways chief denied it had taken no action, saying three road layouts had been altered and two were awaiting change.
- This kitchen exemplifies those tenets with its greet-the-day colors, friendly layout, and elemental materials.
- When considering hazards, it is not enough to simply examine the components, materials and layout of the building.
- Its strategy calls for plants to essentially be carbon copies of each other: same layout, same processes, same equipment.
- The dashboard is modern, made from good materials, and with a very clear layout of all controls and instruments.
- While the building is the container for interpretive material, through its form and layout it also becomes part of the interpretive experience.
- The layout is symmetrical and orderly, which contrasts with the cottagey jumble of perennials and bulbs within the four rectangular beds.
- Advances in car design and road layouts meant that the original test gradually became dated.
- These systems affect the layout and design of modern libraries.
- The duo are using the theme of Irish hospitality to create a sensual interior with a contemporary yet classical layout using Irish fabrics and materials.
- As a family kitchen, both layout and materials have been carefully considered.
- The L-shaped counter and island layout are familiar but the materials are not.
- Rearranging the shop floor layout opened up thousands of square feet and streamlined the process.
- The design will ‘provide partners with full schematics, layout, bill of materials, drivers and a design guide’, the chip maker said.
- The interior materials, control layout and appearance are simply prehistoric.
- But much has changed in those 70 years and the test has been adapted to reflect advances in car design and changing road layouts.
- Abruptly, I found construction work had altered the road layout and I had no idea where pedestrians were supposed to go.
- Over the years, the examination has been adapted to reflect advances in car design and changing road layouts, with hand signals removed from the test in 1975.
2(in magazine, newspaper)diseño masculinomaquetación femeninowe've tried various layouts for the cover — hemos probado varios diseños para la portada
- before noun layout artist — diagramador
- This book has an attractive look to it, with a legible typeface and good layout.
- It is more than a matter of typography and layout.
- First, there's a high-quality cover, nice binding, and vastly improved typesetting and layout.
- As part of her earlier experimentation, she started printing on newsprint and borrowed the format of newspaper layout for her work.
- Over the years, I find major changes in the newspapers' content, delivery and layout.
- Despite this, few applicants have actually considered the need to change CV layout and content in line with the online recruitment process.
- The text takes on a life of its own, and the typography and layout respond.
- I am working on a site right now that is a typical three column layout with a header and footer.
- The typography and page layout is open and inviting.
- Oh, and I don't really care if you don't like the three column layout.
- It makes writing all about the words, not about the formatting, typography, layout, or anything else.
- I have a theory, which I have mentioned from time to time, that readers are sensitive to fonts, layout, and page design, to a far greater extent than is generally recognised.
- The comforting, if deeply eccentric, typography and layout of the original are still there, along with a mix of photographs new and old.
- The typefaces and layout are part of the whole, with cartoons, photos and sketches essential to the whole feel of the project.
- In the late 1960s, as I recall from the magazines one read, typography and layout of poems became almost central to the poem.
- Sterne was almost compulsively attentive to page layout and typography, going so far as to specify the length of each dash in printer's ems.
- Also, although the wording remained the same, the typefaces and layout were changed slightly.
- I could reproduce any layout, liquid or fixed width, with pixel-level precision.
- It tells us something by way of typographical layout, a luxury that ancient Roman poetry didn't have.
- Indeed the style and layout of the original book is followed closely, and the translated version is as similar in appearance to the original as possible.
- And this event promises to be the best yet containing no less than eight model railway layouts!
- There will be guided talks and lectures and model railway layouts.
- So whether you have been interested in model railways for years or just starting on a new layout of your own (or you received a model train set for Christmas) why not come along for a great day out.
- The annual exhibition will be held in the White Horse Leisure Centre on Saturday and Sunday and will feature 18 working model railway layouts and 14 trade stands.
- A railway line cuts the layout diagonally which means that there is scope for a metro rail link.
- When in a paper space layout you can edit geometry created in the layout or in the model.
- There was a layout of a Ugandan railway, designed and built by a former serviceman, that included tiny model animals ranging from aardvarks to zebra.
- This year the show featured 18 working model railway layouts, spanning 100 years as well as 14 trade stands.
- Develop mini model layouts with space for civic amenities.
- More than a dozen first-class layouts, depicting railway scenes from this country and abroad, had been set up by model railway enthusiasts from all parts of the south, each one a joy to study.
- Railway buffs should steam along to Kendal Leisure Centre on Saturday and Sunday to marvel at the layouts on show at the Model Railway Exhibition.
- Also on display will be a live steam model layout featuring famous Welsh railway scenes.
- Famous structures were incorporated into the layout including models of the Eiffel Tower and Sydney Harbour Bridge.
- It runs from 10 am to 5pm and celebrates Swindon's railway heritage with model railway layouts, displays and guided tours of the Swindon Works site.
- During the layover, the Havre Railroad Museum ran trains on its model railroad layout.
- The designer decided he would like to present a second layout during the council meeting the next day.
- The theme extends to detailed scale model layouts of tanks and ships, and a war games group will re-enact the D-Day Landings in miniature.
4EEUU coloquial(property, residence)(y sus instalaciones) propiedad femenino
English has borrowed many of the following foreign expressions of parting, so you’ve probably encountered some of these ways to say goodbye in other languages.
Many words formed by the addition of the suffix –ster are now obsolete - which ones are due a resurgence?
As their breed names often attest, dogs are a truly international bunch. Let’s take a look at 12 different dog breed names and their backstories.