In English, many things are named after a particular country – but have you ever wondered what those things are called in those countries?
1parada femininealto masculineAviation escala feminine
- You become uncomfortably aware of stasis - standing roadside with your thumb out, waiting in Seattle for a three-hour layover, sleeping in an Alberta hostel.
- In one case, the cooperative art dealers didn't even bother to ship the paintings for a brief layover in New Hampshire.
- Nor was he told where he would be going during a four-hour layover.
- And I was there for the past two weeks, and I was on my way back from there and had the layover in Paris, and that's how I wound up on this flight.
- My wife and I went on our honeymoon last month and saw this ring during a layover in Paris on the way to the Seychelles.
- After David went on his way, the rest of us milled about the airport for the rest of our layover.
- They don't overrun the place; it's just that their presence is more obvious tonight (this morning) than I've noticed in past overnight layovers here.
- He claimed that my town was ‘on his way’ to Denver, but in truth his little layover added at least two hours of driving time to his vacation.
- A thousand miles from anywhere, the Azores are a natural layover for voyaging sailors and adventurous pilgrims.
- Listening to his voice on the phone when I called on my layover in Dallas last night, I could tell without even seeing his face that he felt my loss in the same way, too.
- Looks like it'll be tons of fun, as I have to transfer twice and I have a two-hour layover in Baltimore.
- Based upon the schedule, that would have left me a layover of just 25 minutes in Patchogue.
- Many of our nation's airports can be destinations unto themselves with live music, shopping, art and entertainment - all perks that make delays and layovers easier to handle.
- The entire flight process takes about eight hours with layovers, so that's not a huge difference.
- The president has already scheduled layovers in Latvia and Georgia, in part to recognize their progress toward democracy.
- We had a six-hour layover in JFK, where our teacher told us not to go exploring and to stay put in the seating area near our departure gate.
- Every flight left on time, some even arriving early, and there were no problems with any of our layovers or connections.
- After a layover, I am supposed to land in San Diego about 7: 30 pm Pacific time.
- Infections can be acquired en route, so layovers and intermediate stops should be identified.
- I haven't done any neurology since medical school, so coming back to it was kind of like revisiting a foreign country in which you spent a brief layover en route to your real destination.
English has borrowed many of the following foreign expressions of parting, so you’ve probably encountered some of these ways to say goodbye in other languages.
Many words formed by the addition of the suffix –ster are now obsolete - which ones are due a resurgence?
As their breed names often attest, dogs are a truly international bunch. Let’s take a look at 12 different dog breed names and their backstories.