1.1(of group, movement, political party) líder masculine(of group, movement, political party) dirigente masculine(of expedition) jefe masculine(of expedition) jefa feminine(of gang) cabecilla masculine(of gang) jefe masculine(of gang) jefa femininethe leaders of the demo were … — la manifestación iba encabezada por …
- the country's political and spiritual leaders — las autoridades políticas y religiosas del país
- the union leaders — los dirigentes del sindicato
- the leaders of the rebellion — los cabecillas de la rebelión
- (in UK) the Leader of the Opposition — el líder de la oposición
- the party lacks a strong leader — el partido carece de un líder fuerte
- leader for the defence — abogada principal de la defensa
- leader of the pack — (person) cabecilla de la banda
- leader of the orchestra — (conductor) directora (de orquesta)
1.2(in race, competition) primero masculine(in race, competition) primera feminine(in league) líder masculine(in league) puntero masculineshe couldn't keep up with the leaders — no podía mantenerse al ritmo de los que iban en cabeza
- the Nationals are the leaders — los Nacionales van a la cabeza / en cabeza
- a leader of fashion — un árbitro de la moda
- this product is the world/market leader — este producto es el líder mundial/del mercado
2BritishJournalismeditorial masculinebefore noun leader writer — editorialista feminine
- Last Saturday, the newspaper's leader column also reported on a distinctly alarming trend.
- Newspapers have leaders or editorials or whatever they call them where you live, but not poetry.
- There is also a more limited defence of fair comment in relation primarily to the leader columns in the two issues of the newspaper.
- In leaders and news reports, the paper's editors and reporters ignore the unsustainable nature of endless economic growth on a finite planet.
- I object strongly to my local paper having leaders which place them with the tabloid press.
- Nobody tells journalists not to write articles and leaders condemning this insane corporate stoking of the fires of climate change.
- Legislation has too often been cynically reactive to the leader columns of the tabloid newspapers.
- What the big media needs is a cut in columnists and leaders, and a lot more of the reporting that can only be done while wearing clothes.
- Today the Guardian newspaper even featured blogging in its editorial leader column.
3(on tape, film)porción en blanco