In English, many things are named after a particular country – but have you ever wondered what those things are called in those countries?
1(principal)(scientist/playwright/expert) destacado(scientist/playwright/expert) importante(brand/company) líder(brand/company) punteroshe played a leading role in … — tuvo un papel destacado en …
- she was a leading figure in the movement — fue una de las grandes figuras del movimiento
- available at leading record stores — en venta en las principales casas de música
- the country is the world's leading oil-producer — es el país líder / puntero en la producción de petróleo
- Will his subsequent role as a leading critic of the war enhance this theme, undercut it, or have little impact?
- After college, she headed to New York City and landed the leading role in the Broadway production, Zombie.
- By the 1960s she was acclaimed as the country's leading female jazz vocalist and film actress.
- The present upsurge of the Manipuri people would be marked in history also by the way in which women played a leading role in furthering the movement.
- Brazil is one of the world's leading emerging markets.
- Washington was just a child when he saw Sidney Poitier become the first black actor to win an Oscar for a leading role.
- She danced all the leading ballerina roles, foremost among them Odette-Odile and Kitri.
- He has figured in a number of leading roles for Ballinrobe Musical Society, including Danilo in The Merry Widow.
- And it has become an important leading indicator of where the economy is heading.
- And in 1994 he signed with the nation's leading independent label.
- The organizers said that although the dancers are very young, most of the leading roles have gone to award-winning performers.
- Who or what is the consumer to believe when leading investment experts have such conflicting views?
- He has directed the United States to play a leading role in the recovery effort, and we will continue to do that.
- The best overall actor and actress will be crowned Mr. and Miss Bollywood and the top six will be assured of leading roles in Bollywood movies.
- Craven District Council has played a leading role as main sponsor of the project.
- So when I'm offered a leading role in a movie, it's great, because I get to do more of what I love to do.
- This winter, chiffon dresses and smart coats in red, burgundy, pink and purple play the leading role in the collection.
- He won his first Oscar for his part in One Flew Over the Cucko's Nest, a second for Terms of Endearment and his third for the leading role in As Good As it Gets.
- These were leading cases in an important and developing field, and after a week of submissions the Court of Appeal understandably reserved judgment.
- Pears sang the leading roles in all of the operas from Peter Grimes to Death in Venice, and extracts from his letters are printed here alongside Britten's.
2(in front)(horse/driver/runner) que va a la cabeza(driver/horse/runner) que va en cabeza(horse/driver/runner) puntero
- Things can be learned in many ways (spiritual leading is one way you pointed).
- Thus, if we are not willing to give total obedience to his leading, we should not pray for blessing from above.
- It is a longing for a church that raises up leaders who recognize that leading and listening are not mutually exclusive.
- While it gives people a sense of commonality and familiarity, it also keeps them from seeing the bigger picture and being responsive to the leading of the Holy Spirit.
- We can give thanks that through the leading of the Spirit we do not tolerate slavery, but that does not set Spirit against Word.
- "Mother, we taught our kids to act upon the leading of the Holy Spirit."
- The church rejoices with them in the remarkable providence of God in his leading at this time.
- No, it is a God-and-Spirit work - a response to the leading and the driving of the Godhead.
English has borrowed many of the following foreign expressions of parting, so you’ve probably encountered some of these ways to say goodbye in other languages.
Many words formed by the addition of the suffix –ster are now obsolete - which ones are due a resurgence?
As their breed names often attest, dogs are a truly international bunch. Let’s take a look at 12 different dog breed names and their backstories.