In English, many things are named after a particular country – but have you ever wondered what those things are called in those countries?
1(alliance, association)liga feminineasociación femininefederación femininethe League of Nations — la Sociedad de Naciones
- to be in league (with sb) — estar aliado / confabulado (con algn)
- the whole world was in league against me — todo el mundo se había aliado / confabulado contra mí / en mi contra
2.1Sportliga feminine(game/champion) de ligaour team is seventh in the league — nuestro equipo va séptimo en la clasificación / en la liga
- league standing — posición en la liga
- We want both; we don't want a more competitive league at a lower quality level.
- Fair enough, they've had a couple of good results, but winning the Champions league?
- The cloud is kicked up from so many teams scrambling for the league championship.
- Minor football leagues commence April 6 and the minor football championship starts on July 15.
- There's a full programme of football scheduled, with cup and league matches.
- We have got the home games in the bag to come but in our eyes we want to win the next four games and win the league.
- They have experience and know how to win and lose leagues so they will be capable of winning the league.
- Chelsea has won the English league for the first time in 50 years, and many in England have been grumbling about the achievement.
- The final of the league was hotly contested.
- Jacob is among the league's top scorers with 9 goals from 12 matches.
- Here's to raising the bar for every football team that contests the league in this country any time in the future.
- Run over three nights, the league was keenly contested with the outcome in doubt to the very end.
- We won the league, FA Cup, Charity Shield and European Cup-Winners' Cup.
- The chances of making it into the premier league are probably better.
- He has to be on the short list of league MVP candidates so far.
- The Grizzlies started a big youth league in British Columbia when they were there.
- When you lose six matches at home you don't deserve to win the league.
- At West Ham we came within a couple of games of winning the league in 1986.
- For a while, all I thought about as a Manchester United supporter was when we'd end the drought and win the league.
- His performance in the league, which he won without dropping a frame, led to his being re-seeded number one.
- They aren't suddenly going to win the league but at long last there seems to be a proper plan in place that might one day allow them to do so.
- Twice they won the league and twice lost in the play-offs that guaranteed promotion.
- At this moment it is easier to win the league than the Champions League or even the FA Cup.
- BBC Scotland today announced details of upcoming live Premier league fixtures.
- How do I win my fantasy football league?
- They have the opportunity to show they are the real deal, that with some quality additions they can make progress and make it an even closer contest for the league next year.
- It made sense, of course, since the hockey league he played for was beginning their Christmas break.
- We had won the league with five games to go and people were talking about a crisis.
- Through June 27, he was hitting.342 and leading the major leagues in runs batted in with 76.
- Do kids even go outside in the summer anymore except to play in soccer leagues their parents make them join?
- They also both manage teams in the same online fantasy basketball league.
- When will we again see a winning streak like Arsenal managed in the English premier football league?
- Players in the Premiership are playing in that league for a reason and that goes for players in Divisions One, Two and Three.
- The Championship is one of the most competitive leagues in the world with every club capable of beating each other.
- Winning the league four consecutive times is a great achievement.
- People these days won't appreciate it but for many years after that United were the underdogs, until we finally won the league in 1993.
- In this novel a 56-year-old bachelor plays out a baseball league he has invented using a variety of numerical charts and the roll of three dice.
- He is the league's top scorer and also a fan favorite.
- The kids won their leagues as 7th and 8th graders, thanks to their talent and camaraderie.
- The minors will be starting their summer County league on Friday, July 9.
2.2(level, category)the company wants to stay in the big leagues — la empresa quiere mantenerse en las ligas mayores Mexico
- not to be in the same league as sb/sth — no estar a la misma altura / al mismo nivel que algn/ algo
- they're in a different league — no tienen ni punto de comparación
- to be out of one's league
- sorry, I'm out of my league — perdón, pero esto es demasiado difícil para mí
- small-time criminals out of their league — ladronzuelos que se meten a hacer fechorías demasiado complicadas
1(measure of distance)legua feminine
English has borrowed many of the following foreign expressions of parting, so you’ve probably encountered some of these ways to say goodbye in other languages.
Many words formed by the addition of the suffix –ster are now obsolete - which ones are due a resurgence?
As their breed names often attest, dogs are a truly international bunch. Let’s take a look at 12 different dog breed names and their backstories.