In English, many things are named after a particular country – but have you ever wondered what those things are called in those countries?
1.1(left side)izquierda feminineon the left — a la izquierda
- it's the one on the left — es el/la de la izquierda
- to drive on the left — manejar por la izquierda
- keep (to the) left — mantenga su izquierda
- on / to the left of the president — a la izquierda del presidente
- on / to my/your left — a mi/tu izquierda
- from left to right — de izquierda a derecha
- They claim she began to lose weight and leaned badly to the left when sitting in a chair.
- There were only a few seats left, and one of them was the place directly to the left of him.
- This climbs gradually on to the high plateau north of Bynack Mor and swings gently to the left of the mountain.
- A truck passed them on the left going the opposite direction, with Jared at the wheel.
- That's the museum building on the left and the reading room on the right.
- She looks at him, shakes her head, and moves slightly to the left so she's standing in front of the other bank of tills.
- Cross over to the left hand side and the canal can be reached on the left via a series of wooden steps.
- They were in a small room with a table to the right side, and a small window to the left.
- He was now lying to the side, but he had one arm to my left, and the other to my right.
- She turned her eyes directly to the left when she saw a flicker of light from the barn.
- To the left of this is Israel and the West Bank; to the right is the Hashemite Kingdom of Jordan.
- There was another subdivision on her right side, and a good sized church on her left.
- There is a small bar area to the left as you walk inside and then the main dining room to the right.
- Swing left here and follow the path under pylons with the wall on the left.
- Our road took us along this western side with the sandy belt on our left.
- And it must have been coincidence that I happened to be walking on the left when he'd passed.
- Because far more people look at departure boards than arrival boards, it is normal to put departures on the left.
- Follow the path over a ladder stile that leads in front of the farmhouse then cross the stile to the left by a gate after the house.
- He was sitting on my left while Tyson sat on my right holding a bag of ice on his black eye.
- To my left were a weight bench and a long horizontal bar that was built into the wall.
1.2(left turn)take the next left — tome la próxima a la izquierda
- to make / take a left — girar / torcer / doblar a la izquierda
1.3(in boxing)feminine izquierdamasculine golpe de izquierdamasculine izquierdazo
2Politicsthe left — la izquierda
1(side/shoe/ear) izquierdotake the next left turn — tome la próxima calle (/ el próximo desvío etc. ) a la izquierda
2Politicsizquierdistade izquierdade izquierdas Spain
1(turn/look) a la izquierda(turn/look) hacia la izquierdaleft, right! left, right! — ¡izquierda, derecha! ¡izquierda, derecha!
- left and right /left, right and centre
- he was hitting out left and right — repartía golpes a diestra y siniestra
- she spends money left and right — gasta dinero a manos llenas
- The cover, then as now, was a moral imperialist fantasy that appealed to parts of the Left.
- Radical feminism emerged from the Left and brought left-wing values of equality to women.
- This would be the time for the Left to unite and lay the basis for the party that Argentinian workers need.
- From this point of view the change in the vote for the radical Left is extremely significant.
- The book is littered with one-liners and anecdotes that will be familiar to activists on the Left.
- Critics of America are not, in any case, drawn exclusively from the pacifist Left.
- One is never enough because the Left is going to distort the facts just as much as the Right.
- The radical Left will need better representation than Ralph Nader at the next election.
- The parties of the Left and of the Right are in conflict because they both aim at supreme power.
- A key element in this process will be the capacity of the Argentinian Left to overcome its divisions.
- It is of course the Right who regard the Left as little more than empty slogans and iconography.
- That experience in Scotland has directly led to the rebuilding of the Left in England.
- In the broader picture, does this contention imply that America needs a credible party of the Left?
- It is against this background that a recomposition and realignment of the Left is taking place.
- We have built a great movement, whose social weight resonates well beyond the borders of the Left.
- The Left has much in common with the radicals in the Green movement and wants to work with them.
- The national question is not a problem for the Left; it is a problem for the British ruling class.
- The Left's place, in this conception, is clearly on the side of the victims of the imperial power.
- Serge clearly still saw himself as an active member of the anti-Stalinist Left.
- That a common approach on all the central questions was agreed is significant for the Left in Europe.
English has borrowed many of the following foreign expressions of parting, so you’ve probably encountered some of these ways to say goodbye in other languages.
Many words formed by the addition of the suffix –ster are now obsolete - which ones are due a resurgence?
As their breed names often attest, dogs are a truly international bunch. Let’s take a look at 12 different dog breed names and their backstories.