In English, many things are named after a particular country – but have you ever wondered what those things are called in those countries?
1.1(left side)izquierda feminineon the left — a la izquierda
- it's the one on the left — es el/la de la izquierda
- to drive on the left — manejar por la izquierda
- keep (to the) left — mantenga su izquierda
- on / to the left of the president — a la izquierda del presidente
- on / to my/your left — a mi/tu izquierda
- from left to right — de izquierda a derecha
- She looks at him, shakes her head, and moves slightly to the left so she's standing in front of the other bank of tills.
- He was now lying to the side, but he had one arm to my left, and the other to my right.
- They claim she began to lose weight and leaned badly to the left when sitting in a chair.
- And it must have been coincidence that I happened to be walking on the left when he'd passed.
- He was sitting on my left while Tyson sat on my right holding a bag of ice on his black eye.
- A truck passed them on the left going the opposite direction, with Jared at the wheel.
- Our road took us along this western side with the sandy belt on our left.
- That's the museum building on the left and the reading room on the right.
- Because far more people look at departure boards than arrival boards, it is normal to put departures on the left.
- Cross over to the left hand side and the canal can be reached on the left via a series of wooden steps.
- There were only a few seats left, and one of them was the place directly to the left of him.
- To the left of this is Israel and the West Bank; to the right is the Hashemite Kingdom of Jordan.
- They were in a small room with a table to the right side, and a small window to the left.
- This climbs gradually on to the high plateau north of Bynack Mor and swings gently to the left of the mountain.
- There was another subdivision on her right side, and a good sized church on her left.
- Swing left here and follow the path under pylons with the wall on the left.
- To my left were a weight bench and a long horizontal bar that was built into the wall.
- Follow the path over a ladder stile that leads in front of the farmhouse then cross the stile to the left by a gate after the house.
- There is a small bar area to the left as you walk inside and then the main dining room to the right.
- She turned her eyes directly to the left when she saw a flicker of light from the barn.
1.2(left turn)take the next left — tome la próxima a la izquierda
- to make / (British) take a left — girar / torcer / doblar a la izquierda
1.3(in boxing)feminine izquierdamasculine golpe de izquierdamasculine izquierdazo
2Politicsthe left — la izquierda
- From this point of view the change in the vote for the radical Left is extremely significant.
- That a common approach on all the central questions was agreed is significant for the Left in Europe.
- Serge clearly still saw himself as an active member of the anti-Stalinist Left.
- It is against this background that a recomposition and realignment of the Left is taking place.
- A key element in this process will be the capacity of the Argentinian Left to overcome its divisions.
- The national question is not a problem for the Left; it is a problem for the British ruling class.
- It is of course the Right who regard the Left as little more than empty slogans and iconography.
- That experience in Scotland has directly led to the rebuilding of the Left in England.
- The parties of the Left and of the Right are in conflict because they both aim at supreme power.
- One is never enough because the Left is going to distort the facts just as much as the Right.
- The cover, then as now, was a moral imperialist fantasy that appealed to parts of the Left.
- The radical Left will need better representation than Ralph Nader at the next election.
- Radical feminism emerged from the Left and brought left-wing values of equality to women.
- The Left's place, in this conception, is clearly on the side of the victims of the imperial power.
- The book is littered with one-liners and anecdotes that will be familiar to activists on the Left.
- This would be the time for the Left to unite and lay the basis for the party that Argentinian workers need.
- Critics of America are not, in any case, drawn exclusively from the pacifist Left.
- We have built a great movement, whose social weight resonates well beyond the borders of the Left.
- The Left has much in common with the radicals in the Green movement and wants to work with them.
- In the broader picture, does this contention imply that America needs a credible party of the Left?
1(shoe/ear/side) izquierdotake the next left turn — coja la próxima calle (or el próximo desvío etc.) a la izquierda Spain
- King testified that the angles of impact were on the left side of the body and the right side of the head.
- I laugh at her, pull my clothes towards me and then glance at the Rolex adorning my left wrist.
- It veers slightly to one side, so I end up with my left shoulder aching after a while of constantly having to correct it.
- Another shot had hit her in the left knee, and this bullet also remained in her body.
- She could only extend her left arm for nine inches sideways from her body.
- Whenever I am extremely stressed, I suffer from an infection on the side of my left foot.
- There is a cluster of small, neat circular wounds on both sides of his left knee.
- She was the victim of another stroke last March which affected the left side of her body and impaired her vision.
- I'm slowly coming to realise that the left side of my body is far superior to my right side.
- He placed the sharp edge against his left cheek, just below his eye but didn't make a cut.
- He has been left with slurred speech, and the left side of his body is weak after his brain was damaged.
- The patient was a sturdy young man with an abscess on the outer side of his left thigh.
- Bandages covered the left side of his face and his left arm, which lay atop the blankets.
- In his right hand he grasped his sheathed sword, and his left arm he held close to his body.
- He fell off of me, and as he got up I punched him square on the side of his left eye.
- I reached out with my left arm, towards the window and gently rested my hand upon it.
- He still has difficulty using his left-hand side and has a splint on his left ankle.
- Take your right leg, bend it and pull the knee over towards the floor next to your left side.
- Language only grounds itself in the left side of the brain as we move towards adulthood.
- He dismounted on the left side, and his leather boots gave a loud thud when they hit the ground.
2Politicsizquierdistade izquierdade izquierdas Spain
- The Green Party leadership appear to believe that the left vote is theirs by right.
- Wills has been forced into adopting a more left posture to defend his parliamentary position.
- The crowd was solidly left and markedly anarchist and Marxist for the most part it seems.
- A united left campaign to rebuild the union at school level is urgently needed.
- Some people think that it's the time to create a left alternative outside the Labour Party.
- It is clearly time for a realignment of left politics as there is no chance of reclaiming the Labour Party now.
- In the absence of a real left alternative, the working class had to choose between one devil and another.
- The best thing that could happen is left unity - for all the small left parties to unite.
- The existence of Respect has begun to create a left alternative to New Labour.
- Together, we could have seriously eroded New Labour's hegemony on the left vote.
- But there is also a much wider necessity to put forward a viable left alternative to Labour.
- The large left vote in the elections shows that it can still be an independent force in Indian politics.
- The left union leaders should issue a call for action in our workplaces for peace on 1 May.
- Instead we have seen the election of left leaders who have called openly for solidarity action.
- If a left platform had come out of the election with anything like that it would have been a sensation.
- Now that this perspective has so obviously failed, the left groups have little to say.
- The Respect coalition has shown people are willing to vote for a left alternative.
- This is less than the combined share of the smaller left parties in the first round.
- The solution which the left cabinets proposed for the railway question is emblematic of the new regime.
- There has been no real fight against the Le Pen vote organised by the dominant left parties.
1(look/turn) a la izquierda(look/turn) hacia la izquierdaleft, right! left, right! — ¡izquierda, derecha! ¡izquierda, derecha!
- Leave the ticket office and pass in front of the main house, turning left at the far side.
- Follow the lane and at the next road junction bear left to another junction of lanes.
- The third incident was when I hit the side of a bus that was turning left near a blind corner.
- Silverdale train station can be reached by going left at this road junction.
- Continue to the main road, turn left and then right at a junction with the B6365.
English has borrowed many of the following foreign expressions of parting, so you’ve probably encountered some of these ways to say goodbye in other languages.
Many words formed by the addition of the suffix –ster are now obsolete - which ones are due a resurgence?
As their breed names often attest, dogs are a truly international bunch. Let’s take a look at 12 different dog breed names and their backstories.