In English, many things are named after a particular country – but have you ever wondered what those things are called in those countries?
1Politicsthe left wing — la izquierda
(area)banda izquierda feminineala izquierda feminine
2.2(position)to play left wing — jugar en la banda / el ala izquierda
1(ideals/sympathies) de izquierda(sympathies/ideals) de izquierdas Spain(ideals/sympathies) izquierdista
- I note that the members of left wing political parties tend to have side organisations which tend to factionalise.
- He's hoping the Communists will eventually play a part in some sort of broad left wing coalition government.
- Of course socialists should always support left wing officials against the right.
- It was organised by the left wing Socialist Campaign Group of MPs.
- The far left was also hit by the Socialist Party's appeal for left wing voters to unite behind it, as well as by its own disunity.
- At different times in Labour's history the party's left wing critics have been told they open the door to letting the Tories back in.
- He dismissed as nonsense her claim that the march would be dominated by anti-government left wing political parties.
- Many left wing political organisations in India talk about the need to organise among the working class, but then see elections as the best way of implementing their ideas.
- But when left wing Social Democrats refused to agree to united action the Communist leaders abandoned the attempt.
- Union activists and left wing officials told Socialist Worker it would be a disaster to become mesmerised by those talks.
- But he was careful to retain links with a layer of left wing trade union and party officials.
- Few bands as left wing as System of a Down have enjoyed the level of mainstream success achieved by this second generation Armenian quartet.
- Mark was a rank and file activist and is a left wing socialist.
- This is because union activist are more left wing than Labour party members and ordinary members are less likely to vote.
- The grand coalition's programme marks a complete break with the SPD's election campaign, in which the party used left wing language to try to hold on to votes.
- The former left wing socialist and strike leader got 47 percent of votes, almost double that of any other candidate.
- It was a mass political event, with a very radical and left wing mood.
- In the longer term I would hope for a broad left wing alternative to the failed politics of the South.
- I haven't always been as left wing or even as political as I am now.
- He is a former left wing socialist and mass strike leader.
English has borrowed many of the following foreign expressions of parting, so you’ve probably encountered some of these ways to say goodbye in other languages.
Many words formed by the addition of the suffix –ster are now obsolete - which ones are due a resurgence?
As their breed names often attest, dogs are a truly international bunch. Let’s take a look at 12 different dog breed names and their backstories.