In English, many things are named after a particular country – but have you ever wondered what those things are called in those countries?
- It consists of a systematic survey of the lake monster theme in the legends and popular folklore of Québec.
- These ancient people bring us the legend of King Arthur and the Holy Grail.
- Born in Huddersfield, the 45-year-old is the son of a draughtsman and a mother with a passion for historical myths and legends.
- They presently have a wide variety of books, including a section on mythology and the legend of King Arthur.
- This was pretty much the starting point of the Arthurian legends with regard to the Holy Grail.
- The chapter ends by providing numerous excerpts from historical legends and folklore that mention the robin.
- It is an interesting survey, and shows how creative people still continue to mine myths, legends and traditional culture for material.
- Welsh culture was based on an oral tradition of legends, myths, and folktales passed down from generation to generation.
- To most people, the old myths and legends are quaint reminders of a bygone and superstitious age, and have nothing much to tell us anymore.
- It is difficult to distinguish authentic historical information from legends within the accounts given.
- Whatever historical events underlie the legend of the Trojan War did not occur as depicted here.
- Children were once told fairytales, myths, legends and fables because they had a meaning, a moral or a special psychological relevance.
- Oral histories and legends abound, but how reliable are they?
- His early interest in European legends resulted in a Master's Degree on the Grail legend.
- All the ethnic groups of Uganda have a rich oral tradition of tales, legends, stories, proverbs, and riddles.
- These decades of collecting and collating myths, legends and historical snippets are clearly reflected in breadth and depth of the book.
- The legend of Romulus and Remus gives the impression that Rome was created very quickly; the truth was very different.
- However, there is a strong oral tradition consisting of stories, legends, fables, poems, riddles, and songs.
- Every culture has its own body of folklore, myths, legends, song, poetry, stories, and parables.
- The legend of Tristan and Isolde, one of the most popular, was tacked on to Arthur's.
1.2(person)mito masculineleyenda feminineshe's a living legend — es un auténtico mito / una auténtica leyenda
- she was a legend in her own lifetime — ya en vida era un mito / una leyenda
- Florence Nightingale's pioneering development of military and civilian nursing and of hospital care, made her a legend in her own lifetime.
- The coach who helped guide Amir Khan to an Olympic silver medal says the Bolton teenager can become a boxing legend.
- But being handed a gold medal by the swimming legend this summer has been the highlight so far of the 12-year-old's fledgling career in the pool.
- Oliver ‘Smokey’ Charles, 79, is a living legend when it comes to football in St Lucia.
- How does he feel sharing the stage with a living legend?
- We'll ask a living legend of broadcast journalism, Walter Cronkite, the former CBS News anchor.
- Paying tribute to his colleague on Monday, Killarney Jarvey Association spokesman, Pat O'Sullivan, said Mick was a legend in his own lifetime.
- Even jazz legend Louis Armstrong makes a cameo appearance as the Harmonia Gardens' bandleader, singing the film's title track.
- And yet it would be one of those ‘tiny observable effects’ that turned Einstein into a living legend.
- He is a living legend, as his achievements testify.
- Growing up as the legacy of a living legend isn't easy.
- Indeed he is a living legend in the tennis world.
- Rob Roy succeeded in becoming a legend in his own lifetime of 63 years and was compared with Robin Hood while he was still alive.
- Mikey Sheehy, one of Kerry's footballing legends, has eight All-Ireland medals after his exploits in the Green and Gold.
- Charcot became a legend in his own lifetime and was elected to several major medical and neurologic societies in Europe and accorded many honors.
- The artist, who has become a legend in his own lifetime, is also currently working on a permanent Jewish holocaust memorial in Manhattan.
- Edward Ryan Aikau was a Hawaiian surfer, lifeguard and legend that dedicated his life to the ocean and ocean safety.
- When Sidney Kidman left his Norwood home, he was thirteen years old and eventually would become ‘a legend in his own lifetime’.
- John was a legend in his own lifetime, and was exceptionally popular in the locality where he had lived.
- But he was also bigger than life, a living legend who at age 33 could swim faster than he had at 21.
- The obverse of all denominations bore a harp, along with the legend Saorstat Eireann and the date the coin was struck.
- The 200 baht coins have the same legend as the 100 baht coin.
- Around the lower border is the same legend as on the gold coin.
2.2signos convencionalesfeminine clave
- Include glossaries or legends as helpful tools.
- The length of such multimers is specified in the legend to Fig.2.
- The figure contains two subfigures, each composed of three graphs, which are explained in the legend for figure 14.
- All abbreviations are explained in the legend to Fig 1.
- Species are referred to by symbols in the legend.
- The abbreviations are explained in the inset legend to Figure 3.
English has borrowed many of the following foreign expressions of parting, so you’ve probably encountered some of these ways to say goodbye in other languages.
Many words formed by the addition of the suffix –ster are now obsolete - which ones are due a resurgence?
As their breed names often attest, dogs are a truly international bunch. Let’s take a look at 12 different dog breed names and their backstories.