In English, many things are named after a particular country – but have you ever wondered what those things are called in those countries?
- Her beauty and kindness were legendary in our small department and I adored her.
- The club's legendary leader, Jock Stein, had won only one Scottish Cup when he took the Celtic job.
- Most people, it should be said, like to name their pets after mythological and legendary figures.
- Crowds flock from far and wide to sample the club's legendary recitals.
- One of the earliest known portraits of the legendary freedom fighter William Wallace is to go on sale.
- The legendary folk singer Woody Guthrie was one of his first influences.
- These were the only honours bestowed on this legendary maestro during his lifetime.
- Now a New Zealander has brought to light more revelations about the legendary love story.
- His work has led to him appearing with legendary comic talents ranging from Norman Wisdom to Bruce Forsyth.
- He was a friend of the legendary photographers Henri Cartier-Bresson and Don McCullin.
- The guitarist he has the greatest admiration for is the legendary and late Frank Zappa.
- They will do very well if they emulate the success of their legendary father.
- I play lead guitar for legendary heavy metal German rockers The Scorpions.
- It ends with the legendary King Arthur, a Celtic hero adopted by the Anglo-Normans.
- The statue was commissioned by Goodwood estate owner Lord March to honour the legendary fighter pilot.
- Yet Streep matches her legendary leading men in her ability to immerse herself in a role and dedicate herself to her work.
- Philip L.Carret was a legendary investor and the founder of one of the first mutual funds.
- Motorcycle great Barry Sheene will lead a parade of legendary riders in North Yorkshire this weekend.
- It's all a part of the legendary good time that the Edmonton festival is so well known for.
- A play celebrating the rise and fall of the legendary Wigan Casino is coming to Lowton.
- The Hollywood heavyweight is set to present a documentary about legendary film star James Dean..
- He was a legendary record plugger in the U.K. who worked with us from the beginning of our career.
- Bhagiratha is the legendary king whose devotion made the Ganges consent to come down to the Earth.
- One of the most popular themes is Manas, the legendary father and hero of the Kyrgyz people.
- In the end, it hardly matched the legendary success of its earlier incarnations.
- No name is more legendary, when it comes to modern furniture, than Eames.
English has borrowed many of the following foreign expressions of parting, so you’ve probably encountered some of these ways to say goodbye in other languages.
Many words formed by the addition of the suffix –ster are now obsolete - which ones are due a resurgence?
As their breed names often attest, dogs are a truly international bunch. Let’s take a look at 12 different dog breed names and their backstories.