In English, many things are named after a particular country – but have you ever wondered what those things are called in those countries?
1(pants, trousers)leggings masculineleotardos masculinemallas femininecalzas feminine River Platemasculine pelelewaterproof leggings — pantalones impermeables masculine
- Some people wear a jogging suit, or leggings and an old t-shirt.
- Bassist Chris Squire - wearing a flouncy black smock over skin-tight Lycra leggings tucked into Doc Marten boots - was having more of a ball than most.
- The exhibition features a magnificent collection of richly embroidered clothing, including collars, belts, leggings and skirts.
- There were two pairs of jeans, 2 tracksuits, and a pair of leggings, some running shorts and about 8 white tops.
- I did see that you started a thread about maternity wear elsewhere and I was going to reply to say that I know exactly what you meant about tight leggings and maternity smocks.
- Although the night was cold, she was well wrapped up with bonnet, scarf, gloves, leggings and heavy coat.
- In winter we wore leggings under our dresses and we covered our feet in rubber boots.
- And I do remember the white smock and black leggings.
- Even with her wool sweaters, shirts, leggings, socks, and cloak, she was still cold.
- The next day, Christina dressed in black spandex leggings and a white T-shirt.
- Soon, a woman came in, wearing a flower-printed dress and black leggings.
- Running tights or leggings have the same effect on your legs as a fleece and, since most of your body heat escapes through your head, a hat is a must.
- Check out our selection of short pants, short sleeve T'S, camisoles, sleeveless vests, and organic cotton striped baby shirts and leggings.
- All I have is my black jumpsuit, two pairs of leggings and three shirts.
- The uniform consisted of a short skirt with leather leggings and Eton jacket.
- There were slits on either side of the waist too, and she wore a pair of skin-tight, spandex-like purple leggings, as well as a pair of blue, fingerless gloves and elbow pieces.
- The boy looked up, his hair ruffled and wet, his shirt and leggings torn.
- I'm not going to wear leggings under a denim miniskirt or stiletto-heeled boots with skinny jeans and a gold-trimmed gilet.
- Mia undressed for bed, slipping on leggings and an oversized shirt to serve as pyjamas.
- She wore long black leggings and a tight-fitting black top.
2(for lower leg)polainas feminine
- Today he was wearing the same garments he had donned then, a green tunic and leggings, with a brown belt and shoes and a cap with a bright pink feather sticking out of it.
- From the waist down he was dressed in heavy leather leggings.
- She wore a dark green tunic with black leggings and deer skin ankle boots.
- The ruffians wore goatskin hats, gritty cloaks, and leggings of leather.
- For clothes, he just wore an old woodsman's shirt and leggings.
- The women wore deerskin dresses, leggings, moccasins, and petticoats made of woven nettle or thistle fibers.
- She was wearing her least favourite clothes; an off-white tunic, with green leggings.
- Mr Joyce has just returned from Basra where he was able to take dozens of helmets, tunics, leggings and boots to the under-privileged men.
- He was clad in leggings and a thigh-length tunic all in shades of green and brown.
- She put on a shirt and leggings of green leather, soft and supple.
- Her usual tunic and leggings were replaced with pale leather sewn with disks of what looked to be bone.
- He wore a leather loincloth, fur leggings, a fur garment, a grass cape, a fur hat and leather shoes stuffed with grass.
- She recognized the green tunic, the brown shirt, leggings and boots.
- I struggled into my usual black tunic, blue leggings, and black leather boots.
- The cotton garments were soaked in water, then donned, along with helmets with eye slits, leggings and gloves.
- The men wore antelope or mountain sheep skin leggings, shirts, breechcloths, and moccasins.
- Native American beaded pouches, leggings, and vests adorn the pinepaneled walls.
- Traditional clothing for men consisted of a breech-cloth, deerskin leggings, a shirt, and, in winter, moccasins.
- Men wore breechcloths and capes in warm weather, adding fur robes and leggings when it turned cold.
- After her breakfast, Katherine raced to her room and pulled on her favorite hunting leggings and tunic.
English has borrowed many of the following foreign expressions of parting, so you’ve probably encountered some of these ways to say goodbye in other languages.
Many words formed by the addition of the suffix –ster are now obsolete - which ones are due a resurgence?
As their breed names often attest, dogs are a truly international bunch. Let’s take a look at 12 different dog breed names and their backstories.