In English, many things are named after a particular country – but have you ever wondered what those things are called in those countries?
1(long-legged)(girl/boy) de piernas largas(boy/girl) zanquilargo informal(foal) de patas largasa leggy blonde — una rubia con piernas preciosas
- One, a leggy brunette in a polka dotted skirt, even winked.
- Her husband lay on the bed in a compromising position with a tall, leggy blond.
- When we met, I was a boisterous, headstrong, tall, leggy blonde.
- ‘I have recovered, of course,’ said the leggy model about her disastrous venture into Indian films.
- Knit, leather, denim and couture creations were paraded down the runway by the leggy models in the form of gowns, pantsuits and ensembles that displayed an array of splashy colors.
- Welsh hero Stanley Baker heads the cast of Dingaka as a lawyer, with leggy dancer-actress Juliet Prowse as his leading lady.
- News of the Prince's relationship with Mabel, a tall, leggy, attractive blonde, effectively squashed those rumours once and for all.
- Profilers have been delighted to discover her colourful past, and in particular her infamous debut novel Elite, in which the heroine is a leggy redhead who becomes Secretary of State for Scotland.
- The musical numbers sometimes look like they were filmed from down the block, and they and jump from shot to shot so frequently that you don't really get any sense of what they're trying to convey except that leggy women look hot in stockings.
- There is a leggy black woman with bleached blonde curls at the bar smiling winningly at everyone.
- Understandably there is some embellishment in how both sides present themselves, but imagine Peter's shock when a loud, sassy ex-con turns up on his doorstep one day instead of the leggy blonde he was expecting.
- Julian contemplated a moment before throwing a new taunt back at the leggy woman.
- The tall, leggy blonde pushed rudely past Jennifer to stand in front of him.
- Detective Nolan was a leggy woman in her early thirties, with a broad face.
- What he saw was a leggy female surrounded by four guys.
- A tall leggy figure stepped in the light of the entrance to the bar, and Brian grinned.
- Lucy is tall and leggy, with just the right shade of sun-tanned skin.
- I don't find thin, leggy blondes particularly attractive, so I don't have some secret crush on the woman.
- She was a tall, leggy blonde with wide lavender eyes, long black eyelashes, and lush, rose lips.
- The leggy lady has signed on for Moksham, a Malayalam film by national award-winning director Rajeevnath.
2(plant) demasiado alto y delgado
- Don't buy leggy plants or ones that are overgrown and rootbound.
- Excessively rich soil fosters leggy, less attractive growth and leaves plants more prone to pests.
- These have grown into leggy shrubs, but not yet mature trees.
- Dwarf varieties produce smaller flowers but their stems are not as leggy.
- There are many different kinds of basil, but all grow rapidly and require frequent pinching back to prevent them from growing tall and leggy.
- If annuals become leggy, cut their stems back by half to invigorate plants and restore their shape.
- Petunias will take some shade, but the deeper the shade, the fewer the flowers and the more leggy plants will become as they stretch for light.
- It grew into a tall, rather leggy shrub with not much to recommend it apart from unusually long, leathery leaves.
- Give the plants a light to medium pruning, enough to shape any leggy stems and to encourage bushy growth.
- Plants without enough light will be weak and leggy.
- The geraniums, grown far too leggy and monstrous to be attractive, were still full of bud, so we consigned them to the bank below the patio.
- When plants reach for light, they become leggy.
- Keep plants looking lush and full by pruning leggy stems back to buds or branches and removing off-colored and damaged foliage.
- If planted in the shade they tend to become tall and leggy as they strive to reach towards the life giving sun and if in too damp a spot, the stems become too weak to hold the huge flower heads erect and thus fall over.
- If the plant has been neglected and gotten leggy, or if you are planting a new rose, then cutting back to the six-inch mark should encourage strong new canes from the base.
- Pinching leggy plants promotes stronger stems and better flowers.
- If young plants are leggy, pinch off new growth to encourage bushiness.
- First, if the plant has gotten leggy over the summer, shear it back to a more manageable height.
- The stems tend to look leggy and sparse when they survive the winter.
- Without adequate light, plants will become leggy, and they won't flower.
English has borrowed many of the following foreign expressions of parting, so you’ve probably encountered some of these ways to say goodbye in other languages.
Many words formed by the addition of the suffix –ster are now obsolete - which ones are due a resurgence?
As their breed names often attest, dogs are a truly international bunch. Let’s take a look at 12 different dog breed names and their backstories.