In English, many things are named after a particular country – but have you ever wondered what those things are called in those countries?
- The menu controls in the viewfinder are equally bright, sharp and legible.
- Strange visual features include photographs of letters reproduced so small as to be barely legible.
- The inscriptions on the dials of the clock tower were no longer legible.
- I stared at the note, wishing that the mystery person had more legible handwriting.
- My signature takes longer to sign than most, because I've always tried to make my name legible.
- The artistic style in some cases overshadows the writings, no matter how clean and legible the writings are.
- This book has an attractive look to it, with a legible typeface and good layout.
- Half of the phrases are printed in reverse so that they are legible only when read from the other side of the cylinder.
- Fortunately the eight legible digits provide enough information to enable you to supply the missing figures.
- It will be clear and legible both for singers and musicians.
- But if the note is made legible they hope it could provide further information.
- Her neat handwriting was flowing and legible, nothing like my slanted scrawl.
- Records that were not legible or understandable could not be assessed for appropriateness.
- He used the name Harris and wrote a barely legible address in Nottinghamshire.
- Health staff must ensure all handwritten records are legible, dated and signed.
- If they were to inspect it closely, they would find a large crack across the top cutting through an inscription which is now barely legible.
- Short correspondence like thank-you notes can be handwritten if your handwriting is legible.
- When he filled out the paperwork, his hand was so shaky that his name and address were hardly legible.
- As we sifted through the wreckage, I came across the charred but legible number plate - it was Polish!
- I continued reading past the scribbles, where the handwriting once again became legible.
English has borrowed many of the following foreign expressions of parting, so you’ve probably encountered some of these ways to say goodbye in other languages.
Many words formed by the addition of the suffix –ster are now obsolete - which ones are due a resurgence?
As their breed names often attest, dogs are a truly international bunch. Let’s take a look at 12 different dog breed names and their backstories.