In English, many things are named after a particular country – but have you ever wondered what those things are called in those countries?
- Nor does she think that the legislation legitimising it is likely to be revoked in the near future.
- With the legalisation of the paramilitaries, they hope to legitimise impunity for these crimes against the Colombian people.
- Held consequently promotes the idea of a transnational democratic legal order circumscribed and legitimized by democratic public law.
- Now he is suggesting that such steps be legitimized and sanctioned in advance.
- That is a valiant attempt to legitimize the doctrine of common origin, but the logic on which it is based is, I think, fallacious.
- The legal institution of marriage legitimises some relationships and denies others.
- Ironically this process was endorsed and socially legitimised by the Varna system.
- In truth, disclosure laws have legitimized a form of official corruption - sanitizing activities by publicizing them.
- Meanwhile, the mainstream politicians who support this policy legitimize racism.
- When we write something, we are legitimizing it and legitimizing the distinctions those words bring forth.
- In a sense, he is retroactively legitimising his curatorial work by casting it as a definitive art movement of the 1990s.
- The act legitimized Lincoln's suspensions of habeas corpus and approved future suspensions for the duration of the war.
- Clause 56, therefore, simply codifies the practice which has grown up and legitimises it.
- So the bill legitimises perjury and it legitimises breaches of the Oaths and Declarations Act.
- Stamps serve to proclaim and legitimize the authority of rulers.
- Bringing them into the process of policy making legitimises them and bolsters their authority.
- When communities can't control the influx of outsiders and the outsiders are legitimised by central authorities then there is a problem.
- At some point, the judiciary may need to get involved in that procedure to legitimize it and give the detainees some due process.
- Oakland county authorities pursued the case against Abraham in order to establish a precedent and legitimize the 1997 law.
- The international community's role should be to support this self-liberation, not legitimize the illegitimate.
English has borrowed many of the following foreign expressions of parting, so you’ve probably encountered some of these ways to say goodbye in other languages.
Many words formed by the addition of the suffix –ster are now obsolete - which ones are due a resurgence?
As their breed names often attest, dogs are a truly international bunch. Let’s take a look at 12 different dog breed names and their backstories.