In English, many things are named after a particular country – but have you ever wondered what those things are called in those countries?
- Borderline leprosy shows an intermediate appearance between the tuberculoid and lepromatous types.
- Both Danielssen and Boeck believed that leprosy was a hereditary disease.
- They prefer their disease to be called Hansen's disease not leprosy, and the disease can be easily cured.
- Diseases like leprosy, Guinea worm and river blindness are endemic.
- In those days, people used to think I could cure them of laryngitis, leprosy or haemophilia just by touching them with my horn.
- Some neighbours believed she had leprosy, a disease that brings immediate isolation in Hindu society.
- In 1879, Albert Neisser, one of Robert Koch's pupils, visited Bergen to study leprosy.
- This may happen due to injuries, infections, or even chronic problems like rheumatoid arthritis and leprosy.
- Cholera, plague, smallpox, malaria, kalaazar, leprosy and venereal diseases are the others considered.
- Historically, anxiety about the loss of the nose is tied to stigmatizing diseases - leprosy and syphilis.
- Infections such as typhoid, malaria and even leprosy were among the illnesses people picked up while on holiday.
- While patients with tuberculoid leprosy have only a few organisms, those with lepromatous leprosy have abundant bacteria.
- However, despite drug treatment, the number of new cases of leprosy detected each year has stayed the same or risen.
- Programmes to control leprosy, hepatitis and dengue fever are vividly shown.
- It now looks as if leprosy originated in East Africa, and Europeans and North Africans took it to West Africa.
- On the other hand, smallpox has been eradicated, sleeping sickness has become rare, and polio and leprosy are under control.
- The eating of pork has produced leprosy and cancerous tumors.
- Residents lived on meagre rations and in squalor, suffering epidemics of leprosy and other contagious diseases.
- In this way, they spread disease, plague, leprosy, typhoid fever, cholera, dysentery, and so on.
- The most severe form of leprosy produces large disfiguring nodules, or lumps.
English has borrowed many of the following foreign expressions of parting, so you’ve probably encountered some of these ways to say goodbye in other languages.
Many words formed by the addition of the suffix –ster are now obsolete - which ones are due a resurgence?
As their breed names often attest, dogs are a truly international bunch. Let’s take a look at 12 different dog breed names and their backstories.