In English, many things are named after a particular country – but have you ever wondered what those things are called in those countries?
1(blow/dose/substance) mortal(blow/dose/substance) letal(weapon) mortíferohis rum punch is lethal — su ponche de ron es explosivo humorous
- your driving is lethal — eres un peligro público al volante
- Although scorpion stings can be devastatingly painful, they are not usually lethal to humans.
- Many dogs like the sweet smell and taste and, unfortunately, even very small amounts can be lethal to them.
- A deadly bird flu, lethal to some animals, is spreading towards Britain.
- The avian flu strain lethal to humans has so far killed 42 people in Vietnam since late 2003.
- All four incidents involving the potentially lethal weapon happened within the space of an hour in Grimsby.
- The first, a yeast, can be especially lethal to individuals with weakened immune systems.
- Antibiotics are medicines that are lethal to bacteria that cause infections.
- The gas acts like mustard gas, and can prove lethal to those with respiratory problems.
- In sufficient quantities its spores can be lethal to humans.
- In the United States, critically injured racehorses are humanely euthanized by lethal injection.
- Such a hostile chemical environment would likely prove lethal to all known microbes.
- Actually, the mutation has proved lethal in a protected environment as well.
- They're exposed every day to potentially lethal doses of anthrax.
- The synthetically lethal combinations could not be analyzed because they did not grow under any conditions.
- Without the respectability that lethal injection provides, capital punishment in the United States would probably cease.
- The offender appears to sleep peacefully before the lethal dose of poison is administered.
- Who's to say that a substance lethal to rats would necessarily have the same effect on humans?
- Grey squirrels have out-competed reds for food and also carry squirrel-pox virus which is lethal to the native animals.
- In fact, oxidative stress may progress to such an extent that it becomes lethal.
- Every car is a potentially lethal weapon of mass destruction.
English has borrowed many of the following foreign expressions of parting, so you’ve probably encountered some of these ways to say goodbye in other languages.
Many words formed by the addition of the suffix –ster are now obsolete - which ones are due a resurgence?
As their breed names often attest, dogs are a truly international bunch. Let’s take a look at 12 different dog breed names and their backstories.