In English, many things are named after a particular country – but have you ever wondered what those things are called in those countries?
1(blow/dose/substance) mortal(dose/substance/blow) letal(weapon) mortíferohis rum punch is lethal — su ponche de ron es explosivo humorous
- your driving is lethal — eres un peligro público al volante
- All four incidents involving the potentially lethal weapon happened within the space of an hour in Grimsby.
- Every car is a potentially lethal weapon of mass destruction.
- In fact, oxidative stress may progress to such an extent that it becomes lethal.
- Many dogs like the sweet smell and taste and, unfortunately, even very small amounts can be lethal to them.
- The synthetically lethal combinations could not be analyzed because they did not grow under any conditions.
- Antibiotics are medicines that are lethal to bacteria that cause infections.
- The avian flu strain lethal to humans has so far killed 42 people in Vietnam since late 2003.
- Although scorpion stings can be devastatingly painful, they are not usually lethal to humans.
- They're exposed every day to potentially lethal doses of anthrax.
- Such a hostile chemical environment would likely prove lethal to all known microbes.
- Grey squirrels have out-competed reds for food and also carry squirrel-pox virus which is lethal to the native animals.
- The offender appears to sleep peacefully before the lethal dose of poison is administered.
- Without the respectability that lethal injection provides, capital punishment in the United States would probably cease.
- The first, a yeast, can be especially lethal to individuals with weakened immune systems.
- Who's to say that a substance lethal to rats would necessarily have the same effect on humans?
- Actually, the mutation has proved lethal in a protected environment as well.
- In sufficient quantities its spores can be lethal to humans.
- The gas acts like mustard gas, and can prove lethal to those with respiratory problems.
- A deadly bird flu, lethal to some animals, is spreading towards Britain.
- In the United States, critically injured racehorses are humanely euthanized by lethal injection.
English has borrowed many of the following foreign expressions of parting, so you’ve probably encountered some of these ways to say goodbye in other languages.
Many words formed by the addition of the suffix –ster are now obsolete - which ones are due a resurgence?
As their breed names often attest, dogs are a truly international bunch. Let’s take a look at 12 different dog breed names and their backstories.