In English, many things are named after a particular country – but have you ever wondered what those things are called in those countries?
1(written message)carta femininehis letters have just been published — su epistolario acaba de publicarse
- letter of introduction — carta de recomendación
- letter of advice — carta de aviso
- letter of credit — carta de crédito
- letter of intent — carta de intenciones
- before noun letter rack — portacartas
- I'm not much of a letter writer — no soy muy buen corresponsal
- letter writing is quite an art — escribir cartas es todo un arte
- Headteachers have been told to stop sending warning letters to parents alerting them to outbreaks of head lice in schools.
- Why was the covering letter dated 12 June 1997?
- What does he want as proof, a duly signed letter of intent?
- Write them a letter, or send them a fax, or call them, or better yet, go see them!
- Instead, they issued an open letter to the mayor demanding the release of the four leaders.
- You sign a letter of intent pledging to invest a higher amount within 13 months.
- He also sent out the letter before he wrote it (according to the date).
- For example, most daily newspapers will not publish anonymous letters to the editor.
- Please fax or e-mail a resume and cover letter stating your interest.
- There have been no letters of objection and the plans are earmarked for approval.
- Submit an Op-Ed to your local paper or send letters to the editor about EC.
- The strangest part of it is that the press just printed it without checking in to see if we really wrote or sent the letter.
- Four of the alternatives relied on the letter of intent dated 5th February 1997.
- I must have written him a letter, because he sent me a postcard in reply.
- Can you tell how awful I am at writing love letters?
- There were four letters of objection to the development from residents.
- He was eventually jailed for two years in 1997 for sending threatening letters to a Scottish newspaper and news agency.
- I could get more rejection letters in a week than it had previously taken me ten years to get!
- Richmond Police are sending warning letters to parents of children caught buying or attempting to buy alcohol.
- We'll stick to the big social events and if people want other things in these pages they can write letters and send us pictures.
2.1(of alphabet)letra femininea two-/eight-letter word — una palabra de dos/ocho letras
- she's the only one in the family with letters after her name — es la única de la familia que tiene título — académico u honorífico cuya abreviatura suele usarse tras el nombre
- the letter of the law — la letra de la ley
- to the letter — al pie de la letra
- The region indicated by lowercase letters represents the P-element sequence.
- Yes, there are some children who are severely dyslexic - who have trouble with basic sounds and alphabet letters.
- A group of eight bits makes up a byte, which can represent many types of information, such as a letter of the alphabet or decimal character.
- For the present we are concentrating on ciphers where the basic symbols are the letters of the English alphabet.
- It probably had something to do with beta being the second letter in the Greek alphabet.
- The flags are held, arms extended, in various positions representing each of the letters of the alphabet or numbers.
- Mrs Sulley taught me the letters of the alphabet and the sounds they represented.
- I typed the second letter of the alphabet.
- The reason that their explanations didn't quite work is that they made the mistake of referring to letters rather than to sounds.
- I had to relearn how to position my mouth and tongue to form the sounds of each letter of the alphabet.
- There was the alphabet up on the wall, and the teacher explained to us five-year-olds straight off, how the letters represented sounds.
- Our names would have been around the first four letters of the alphabet.
- After all, the first letter of the alphabet you are now reading had its genesis as a symbolic representation of an ox.
- If three letters together represent a single sound, they constitute a trigraph, such as tch in catch and sch in schmaltz.
- However, by using special lighting techniques it was seen that some of the characters looked like letters of the Russian alphabet.
- You know that the last letter of the English alphabet is always pronounced ‘Zed’.
- Three of its vowels are each represented by a letter of the alphabet.
- The numbers represent the letters of the alphabet, which in turn are connected to a key word and then to informatics and finally to knowledge development.
- Lowercase letters indicate the flanking region, and capital letters indicate the microsatellite region.
- Children and teachers were sitting looking at books together, but they were not being taught the alphabet and the sounds different letters represent.
2.2letters pl(literature)a man of letters — un escritor
- a woman of letters — una literata
- Canadian art, literature, and letters have traditionally mythologized the North.
1(print)(card/invitation) grabar(card/invitation) estampar
2(designate by letter)the rows are lettered A through G — las filas van por letras de la A a la G
English has borrowed many of the following foreign expressions of parting, so you’ve probably encountered some of these ways to say goodbye in other languages.
Many words formed by the addition of the suffix –ster are now obsolete - which ones are due a resurgence?
As their breed names often attest, dogs are a truly international bunch. Let’s take a look at 12 different dog breed names and their backstories.