In English, many things are named after a particular country – but have you ever wondered what those things are called in those countries?
1(written message)carta femininehis letters have just been published — su epistolario acaba de publicarse
- letter of introduction — carta de recomendación
- letter of advice — carta de aviso
- letter of credit — carta de crédito
- letter of intent — carta de intenciones
- before noun letter rack — portacartas
- I'm not much of a letter writer — no soy muy buen corresponsal
- letter writing is quite an art — escribir cartas es todo un arte
- There were four letters of objection to the development from residents.
- Instead, they issued an open letter to the mayor demanding the release of the four leaders.
- I could get more rejection letters in a week than it had previously taken me ten years to get!
- We'll stick to the big social events and if people want other things in these pages they can write letters and send us pictures.
- Why was the covering letter dated 12 June 1997?
- You sign a letter of intent pledging to invest a higher amount within 13 months.
- What does he want as proof, a duly signed letter of intent?
- Write them a letter, or send them a fax, or call them, or better yet, go see them!
- Submit an Op-Ed to your local paper or send letters to the editor about EC.
- Richmond Police are sending warning letters to parents of children caught buying or attempting to buy alcohol.
- I must have written him a letter, because he sent me a postcard in reply.
- Headteachers have been told to stop sending warning letters to parents alerting them to outbreaks of head lice in schools.
- He was eventually jailed for two years in 1997 for sending threatening letters to a Scottish newspaper and news agency.
- Four of the alternatives relied on the letter of intent dated 5th February 1997.
- Please fax or e-mail a resume and cover letter stating your interest.
- There have been no letters of objection and the plans are earmarked for approval.
- Can you tell how awful I am at writing love letters?
- He also sent out the letter before he wrote it (according to the date).
- The strangest part of it is that the press just printed it without checking in to see if we really wrote or sent the letter.
- For example, most daily newspapers will not publish anonymous letters to the editor.
2.1(of alphabet)letra femininea two-/eight-letter word — una palabra de dos/ocho letras
- she's the only one in the family with letters after her name — es la única de la familia que tiene título
- The region indicated by lowercase letters represents the P-element sequence.
- Lowercase letters indicate the flanking region, and capital letters indicate the microsatellite region.
- Three of its vowels are each represented by a letter of the alphabet.
- However, by using special lighting techniques it was seen that some of the characters looked like letters of the Russian alphabet.
- Our names would have been around the first four letters of the alphabet.
- If three letters together represent a single sound, they constitute a trigraph, such as tch in catch and sch in schmaltz.
- I had to relearn how to position my mouth and tongue to form the sounds of each letter of the alphabet.
- The reason that their explanations didn't quite work is that they made the mistake of referring to letters rather than to sounds.
- Mrs Sulley taught me the letters of the alphabet and the sounds they represented.
- There was the alphabet up on the wall, and the teacher explained to us five-year-olds straight off, how the letters represented sounds.
- I typed the second letter of the alphabet.
- Yes, there are some children who are severely dyslexic - who have trouble with basic sounds and alphabet letters.
- A group of eight bits makes up a byte, which can represent many types of information, such as a letter of the alphabet or decimal character.
- The flags are held, arms extended, in various positions representing each of the letters of the alphabet or numbers.
- The numbers represent the letters of the alphabet, which in turn are connected to a key word and then to informatics and finally to knowledge development.
- It probably had something to do with beta being the second letter in the Greek alphabet.
- Children and teachers were sitting looking at books together, but they were not being taught the alphabet and the sounds different letters represent.
- For the present we are concentrating on ciphers where the basic symbols are the letters of the English alphabet.
- After all, the first letter of the alphabet you are now reading had its genesis as a symbolic representation of an ox.
- You know that the last letter of the English alphabet is always pronounced ‘Zed’.
2.2letters pluralformal (literature)a man of letters — un hombre de letras
- a woman of letters — una literata
- Canadian art, literature, and letters have traditionally mythologized the North.
1(print)(invitation/card) grabar(invitation/card) estampar
- Horse racing is big in New Zealand, and, before the advent of electronic displays, the bookmakers lettered horses' names on white wooden boards in heavy black sans-serif characters.
- The group logo comprises a giraffe, the animal rendered as if cut out from paper, lettered in a rounded classical font with exaggerated ascenders on the letter ‘f’.
- Except for a few brief exceptions, he always pencilled, lettered and inked his own work at the rate of one page per day - no more, no less.
- The name has been professionally lettered on in bright letters.
- Yet the names of donors are lettered on the walls, museum-style.
- In each case, the parenthetical portion of the title in this series is lettered across the painting's lower edge in a classic upper-case Roman font.
2(designate by letter)the rows are lettered A through G — las filas van por letras de la A a la G
English has borrowed many of the following foreign expressions of parting, so you’ve probably encountered some of these ways to say goodbye in other languages.
Many words formed by the addition of the suffix –ster are now obsolete - which ones are due a resurgence?
As their breed names often attest, dogs are a truly international bunch. Let’s take a look at 12 different dog breed names and their backstories.