In English, many things are named after a particular country – but have you ever wondered what those things are called in those countries?
1(written message)carta femininehis letters have just been published — su epistolario acaba de publicarse
- letter of introduction — carta de recomendación
- letter of advice — carta de aviso
- letter of credit — carta de crédito
- letter of intent — carta de intenciones
- before noun letter rack — portacartas
- I'm not much of a letter writer — no soy muy buen corresponsal
- letter writing is quite an art — escribir cartas es todo un arte
2.1(of alphabet)letra femininea two-/eight-letter word — una palabra de dos/ocho letras
- she's the only one in the family with letters after her name — es la única de la familia que tiene título — académico u honorífico cuya abreviatura suele usarse tras el nombre
- the letter of the law — la letra de la ley
- to the letter — al pie de la letra
- Yes, there are some children who are severely dyslexic - who have trouble with basic sounds and alphabet letters.
- You know that the last letter of the English alphabet is always pronounced ‘Zed’.
- The region indicated by lowercase letters represents the P-element sequence.
- However, by using special lighting techniques it was seen that some of the characters looked like letters of the Russian alphabet.
- Lowercase letters indicate the flanking region, and capital letters indicate the microsatellite region.
- If three letters together represent a single sound, they constitute a trigraph, such as tch in catch and sch in schmaltz.
- The numbers represent the letters of the alphabet, which in turn are connected to a key word and then to informatics and finally to knowledge development.
- I typed the second letter of the alphabet.
- Three of its vowels are each represented by a letter of the alphabet.
- After all, the first letter of the alphabet you are now reading had its genesis as a symbolic representation of an ox.
- There was the alphabet up on the wall, and the teacher explained to us five-year-olds straight off, how the letters represented sounds.
- For the present we are concentrating on ciphers where the basic symbols are the letters of the English alphabet.
- The flags are held, arms extended, in various positions representing each of the letters of the alphabet or numbers.
- It probably had something to do with beta being the second letter in the Greek alphabet.
- Mrs Sulley taught me the letters of the alphabet and the sounds they represented.
- Our names would have been around the first four letters of the alphabet.
- I had to relearn how to position my mouth and tongue to form the sounds of each letter of the alphabet.
- Children and teachers were sitting looking at books together, but they were not being taught the alphabet and the sounds different letters represent.
- A group of eight bits makes up a byte, which can represent many types of information, such as a letter of the alphabet or decimal character.
- The reason that their explanations didn't quite work is that they made the mistake of referring to letters rather than to sounds.
2.2(literature)a man of letters — un literato
- a woman of letters — una literata
- Canadian art, literature, and letters have traditionally mythologized the North.
1(print)(invitation/card) grabar(card/invitation) estampar
2(designate by letter)the rows are lettered A through G — las filas van por letras de la A a la G
English has borrowed many of the following foreign expressions of parting, so you’ve probably encountered some of these ways to say goodbye in other languages.
Many words formed by the addition of the suffix –ster are now obsolete - which ones are due a resurgence?
As their breed names often attest, dogs are a truly international bunch. Let’s take a look at 12 different dog breed names and their backstories.