In English, many things are named after a particular country – but have you ever wondered what those things are called in those countries?
- The fire had been started by petrol being poured into the house through the letter box in the front door and the petrol being ignited.
- He said it was not foreseeable that leaving junk mail half in and half out of a letter box could cause this damage.
- I notice that they do not seem to lose the deluge of junk mail that comes through our letter box, which goes straight into our bin.
- What did they do with the direct mail when it came through the letter box?
- The front door of the house and three other windows were blown out, and a letter box was also destroyed by the blast.
- A lit firework was wedged in the letter box in the front door and blasted part of the door through the living room.
- There was no vehicle parked outside, there was no bang on the door and no card through the letter box.
- After looking through the letter box the youth tried the front door and went inside the house.
- With no reply to a knock at the door, he looked in the letter box.
- The photographer squats down and says something through the letter box, and the door opens about six inches and we all squeeze in.
- A firework was pushed through the letter box of the building and set fire to items of mail, causing smoke damage to the building on Owen Road.
- In Beverley, a firework was pushed through the letter box of a house and exploded in the box, causing damage.
- Later, one of the council dog wardens brought in to look after animal welfare arranged for a slice of chicken to be pushed through the letter box of the front door.
- He said the building had been fitted out with a letter box and kitchenette.
- Do not leave keys within reach of the letter box or in a hiding place outside
- I attracted a family of dusky flycatchers to an old letter box attached to a wall three metres or so off the ground.
- Its only connection seems to be that it has a phone box in front, and a letter box set in the wall.
- Mike had done exactly as instructed and left via the front door putting the key through the letter box.
- The council put a note through the letter box stating we are banned from parking outside our houses for the duration to speed up traffic.
- Walking down her long driveway, she paused briefly to check the mail in the letter box before continuing down to the sidewalk.
English has borrowed many of the following foreign expressions of parting, so you’ve probably encountered some of these ways to say goodbye in other languages.
Many words formed by the addition of the suffix –ster are now obsolete - which ones are due a resurgence?
As their breed names often attest, dogs are a truly international bunch. Let’s take a look at 12 different dog breed names and their backstories.