In English, many things are named after a particular country – but have you ever wondered what those things are called in those countries?
1lechuga feminineto buy a lettuce / (esp US) a head of lettuce — comprar una lechuga
- I plant hybrid tomatoes, but grow heirloom chick peas, fava beans, lettuce, and cucumbers (to list but a few).
- By way of accompaniment, we roasted acorn squash and red peppers, sautéed red onions, and made a big salad of farmers' market lettuces and shaved fennel.
- In a small bowl, combine the lettuce, Upland Cress, balsamic vinegar, and grapeseed oil and toss to coat.
- The Sardine salad with tomato, lettuce, cucumber and carrot mixed with olive oil and vinegar is a hit dish in the eatery.
- Verlaine's chine was stuffed with leeks, spring onions, lettuce, raspberry leaves, parsley, thyme and marjoram.
- An almost bare-bones salad of romaine lettuce has a tongue-clacking blast of fresh anchovy dressing.
- In addition romaine lettuce, arugula and spinach are valuable.
- Other fruits and vegetables coming through the laboratory with diseases included figs, pears, quinces, raspberries, nectarines, cherries, onions, lettuces, corn, mung beans and pumpkins.
- The salad garden grows colorful lettuce, basil, tarragon and trellised peas.
- In the vegetable garden, carrots, spring onions, lettuce, spinach and radishes can all be planted.
- The romaine lettuce didn't feel right for this salad.
- I said that because of the condiments: the mustard and mayo, the lettuce, tomato and onion.
- Snap beans, turnips, leaf lettuce and spinach are also good candidates for fall harvest.
- Add the lettuce and watercress and purée until smooth, about one minute.
- The carrots, cabbage, spinach, onions, lettuce, tomatoes and beetroot that are grown in the garden were initially used to feed 80 children once a week.
- In my family, when the lettuce is all gone, basil's not just an herb, it becomes our main leafy green.
- In the vegetable garden early planting of lettuce, peas, radishes, carrots, parsley, onions and potatoes are equally important.
- I make salad with avocados, tomato, lettuce and spring onions, with an olive oil and red wine dressing.
- At home we grow sweetcorn, beans, tomatoes, carrots, lettuce, garlic and leeks.
- The crops of spring onions, lettuce and Chinese cabbage were given free to guests at a formal function to celebrate the event on Friday.
English has borrowed many of the following foreign expressions of parting, so you’ve probably encountered some of these ways to say goodbye in other languages.
Many words formed by the addition of the suffix –ster are now obsolete - which ones are due a resurgence?
As their breed names often attest, dogs are a truly international bunch. Let’s take a look at 12 different dog breed names and their backstories.