In English, many things are named after a particular country – but have you ever wondered what those things are called in those countries?
1.1(height, honest)nivel masculineabove/below the level of the window — por encima/debajo del nivel de la ventana
- water level — nivel del agua
- at eye/shoulder level — a la altura de los ojos/hombros
- his window is on a level with ours — su ventana está al mismo nivel que la nuestra
- on the level
- is it all on the level? — ¿es un asunto limpio?
- he's definitely on the level — estoy seguro de que es un tipo bien
- Water passes in and out through channels between the islands as ocean levels change.
- Continuous rain in the first week saw river levels rise and temperatures drop.
- During the summer months, decreases in river, lake and reservoir levels are likely to occur.
- Reservoir levels may look alarmingly low but water chiefs are confident the region is not facing a crisis.
- The rise of sea levels with the release of glacial waters at the end of the last ice age flooded the plain between what is now the UK and Europe.
- My studies also demonstrated that the rainfall, river flow and groundwater levels are increasing.
- Riverside homeowners were keeping one eye firmly on the clouds today as river levels rose even higher through the night.
- In a matter of hours, the water levels had risen to his window.
- Lower dam levels lead to lower amounts of hydro power.
- If river levels sink too low, barges could be grounded and agriculture thrown into chaos.
- There was a slight rise in the river level of a few inches.
- Sea levels were low because water was frozen in ice sheets in Antartica.
- Flood levels in Ryedale were going down but yesterday's downpour could make it worse, experts claimed.
- He sleeps three hours a night, wakes at six in the morning to monitor the state's reservoir levels.
- Mr Stainer said part of the plan included raising the level of the land to guard against flooding.
- Groundwater levels rose and fell over a period of about 45 minutes.
- Twelve trial holes were inspected last year to determine soil suitability and water table levels on the proposed site.
- Water levels on the lake were very low and conditions have not been very favourable for angling with few anglers fishing the lakes.
- As soon as flood levels start to drop water will be fed back into the river along the new water course.
- Most North American cities will flood and sink when the polar ice caps melt and raise ocean levels.
1.2(degree, amount)nivel masculinepollution has reached alarming levels — la contaminación ha alcanzado niveles / cotas alarmantes
- a high level of literacy — un alto nivel / índice de alfabetización
- A priority is supporting regeneration in areas with high levels of social and economic difficulty.
- The survey found that 47 per cent of consumers said they were suffering from above normal levels of stress.
- Until 1998, female Army recruits were not expected to reach the same level of physical fitness as men.
- What will it take to keep oil imports at today's level in 2020?
- Even low levels of weekly exercise drive down blood pressure and boost overall fitness.
- Therefore when social, legal and administrative systems reach a certain level of complexity they cease functioning.
- He designed a safety valve to prevent the pressure of steam building up to dangerous levels.
- The Environment Agency tested the water in Manor House Gardens pond and found oxygen levels to be well above safe levels.
- In a separate development, air pollution at Eastleigh town centre has been found to be way above acceptable levels.
- Rainfall also dipped below the usual seasonal levels at 56 mm, or 60 per cent of the average.
- The Minimum Income Guarantee gives out cash to those who are living below minimum levels set by the Government.
- Tests have found about one in seven UK lettuces with above approved levels of a pesticide, the Government announced yesterday.
- Their businesses are based on low levels of investment and are not especially labour intensive.
- The recession has resulted in unprecedented levels of unemployment and a dramatic increase in poverty.
- However, what's an acceptable level of unemployment?
- It should also have a healthy and vibrant economy with low levels of unemployment and deprivation, with an increase in quality homes.
- And as unemployment rose to record levels, people have stopped spending so freely, causing prices to drop.
- However, if the pressure in the reservoir tanks falls below a certain level, an alarm will sound for the driver.
- Maintaining acceptable levels of water quality is important to human and environmental health.
- For the first time last year, unemployment rose to an unprecedented level of 10 percent.
2(rank)nivel masculineat ministerial/cabinet level — a nivel ministerial/de gabinete
- a top-level meeting — una reunión de / a alto nivel
- at national/regional/local level — a nivel nacional/regional/local
- to be on a level with sb/sth — estar a la par de / a la altura de algn/algo
- this latest scandal is on a level with … — este último escándalo es equiparable a / comparable con …
- they're both on the same level — están al mismo nivel
- how could you sink to such a level? — ¿cómo pudiste haber caído tan bajo?
(of building)nivel masculine
- A woman died after jumping from the fifth level of a multi-storey car park.
- It has three levels with three reception rooms and four bedrooms.
- It was not intended that there would be balconies at first floor level around the edges of the deck.
- The ground floor shops and upper ground level occupy an area of 4,563 sq ft each.
- The house had two levels and a flat roof, much like all the other buildings in the city.
- Glass walkways connected the buildings to their neighbours and to the central building at three levels.
- The new building has four levels, linked by a new lift as well as stairs.
- There are two bedrooms and a shower room on the upper level of the extension.
- Also at this level is a granny flat with a television room, kitchenette, bedroom and shower room.
- A different architect has designed each floor, giving each level a very different feel.
- Additionally, there are several new ‘malls,’ some of which are three or more levels with no parking facilities.
- The major landmarks of Paris are a bewitching sight from the various levels of the tower.
- Being built on four levels with the ground floor reserved for secure parking, the flats will have panoramic views north across the Forth estuary to Fife.
- The contractor is to arrange for the carpets to be lifted from the ground and first floor levels and removed off site prior to work starting.
- Everything was spread out over five different levels with precious few staircases open to the public.
- The building will be joined at many levels to the main building.
- The first tidal wave caused damage to the bottom of the hotel, but it was the second wave, an hour and a half later, which wrecked the first few levels of the buildings.
- There is a department store on the beach road, Ocean Plaza, which is still flooded at the lower level.
- Wildlife often seek refuge from flood waters on upper levels of a home and may remain inside even after the water recedes.
- Subterranean termites tunnel in moist soil to find wood, putting decks and lower levels of buildings at risk.
3.2(in mine)galería feminine
2(unemotional, calm)(voice/tone) desapasionadoto keep a level head — no perder la cabeza
- a level head is vital in business — la sensatez es esencial en los negocios
3(at same height)to be level ( with sth) — estar al nivel / a ras ( de algo)
4(in a race, abreast, equal)the two teams were level at half-time — al medio tiempo los dos equipos iban / estaban empatados
- as far as ability goes they're level — en cuanto a capacidad están al mismo nivel
- average earnings have kept level with inflation — el salario medio ha ido subiendo a la par de la inflación
- to draw level with sb — alcanzar a algn
5(ground/surface) plano(ground/surface) llanothat picture's not level — ese cuadro no está derecho
- a level tablespoonful of flour — una cucharada rasa de harina
- to do / try one's level best — hacer todo lo posible
- Ideas matter to all of us who enter public life, particularly at the national level.
- What does worry me personally is the trend away from engineers being employed at fairly high management levels.
- The grain purchase programs determined at the national level were difficult to implement locally.
- At higher political levels, channels of communication are kept active and effective.
- At the lower levels of business activities within this sector are very small operations that employ as few as five employees at maximum.
- There were clear levels on the Roman social ladder, but not everyone could be - or wished to be - neatly categorised.
- The rest are stuck at the lower and middle levels of the managerial hierarchy.
- Democratic practice has to occur at the local level if it is to have any chance at the national level.
- Here in Scotland, we have no comparable political leadership below the level of the Executive.
- That is definitely below director level but above executive club member.
- All of the seniority levels recovered lower amounts in 1999 than the historical average.
- This produces a mind-set that puts maids at the lowest level of the social structure.
- A spokesmen says, given the nature of the allegations, any inquiry would need to be at a national level.
- It seeks to inform and facilitate decisions appropriate to different levels of government and to private citizens at home and at work.
- It has become a challenging issue for policymakers both at the national and international levels to deal with.
- Based on age, the children are divided into the primary, intermediate, junior and senior levels.
- Authority in the firm is concentrated at senior levels of managerial hierarchies.
- Though few have broken into the top echelons of power, the junior and middle management levels are full of women.
- Important changes have also occurred in the middle levels of the class hierarchy.
- That has been the judgment rendered at the highest levels again within the last few weeks without any qualification.
- Generally, the most accurate beach survey data are obtained using a surveying level.
- A laser level is the modern way of doing surveying.
- A level can be used to straighten out rows of bricks.
- In place of an open rear sight on the barrel, a bubble level is fitted to help avoid canting the rifle.
- I even used a level to measure properly!
- Scrape the top layer smooth using a level to guide you.
2(make flat)(ground/surface) nivelar(ground/surface) aplanar(ground/surface) allanar(ground/surface) emparejar
3(raze, flatten)(town/building) arrasar
4(make equal)igualarsocial leveling — nivelación social
5(direct)to level sth at sb/sth — apuntarle a algn con algo
- you can't level that criticism at me — no me puedes acusar de eso
1informal(be honest)to level with sb — ser franco / sincero con algn
English has borrowed many of the following foreign expressions of parting, so you’ve probably encountered some of these ways to say goodbye in other languages.
Many words formed by the addition of the suffix –ster are now obsolete - which ones are due a resurgence?
As their breed names often attest, dogs are a truly international bunch. Let’s take a look at 12 different dog breed names and their backstories.