In English, many things are named after a particular country – but have you ever wondered what those things are called in those countries?
1death is a great leveler — la muerte nos toca a todos, pobres y ricos
- war is a great leveler — en una situación de guerra todo el mundo está en pie de igualdad
- It's the great leveler, the only thing that breaks through the class barriers and makes us equal.
- Ingenuity counts for as much as spending power and six hours is a great leveller.
- The lesson is that the Internet is going to be the great leveler.
- The myth of the draft as a class leveller comes from WWII, where it was only true for about six months.
- Sport is one of life's great levellers and it is the source of many a heartening tale.
English has borrowed many of the following foreign expressions of parting, so you’ve probably encountered some of these ways to say goodbye in other languages.
Many words formed by the addition of the suffix –ster are now obsolete - which ones are due a resurgence?
As their breed names often attest, dogs are a truly international bunch. Let’s take a look at 12 different dog breed names and their backstories.