In English, many things are named after a particular country – but have you ever wondered what those things are called in those countries?
1matrícula feminineplaca femininepatente feminine Southern Conechapa feminine River Plate
- I wrote the number of the license plate down, and stuck it in my back pocket.
- When a police car is near yours he gets a letter or number off your license plate.
- That's equivalent to reading an automobile license plate from 100 kilometers away.
- Worried about automatic cameras snapping a picture of your license plate as you speed through red lights?
- And it was reported to us as a gray automobile with the partial license plate of 266.
- When my number was called we went to a counter with a nice old lady who took my money, then gave me a Kleenex to wipe off my license plate to affix the sticker.
- As he gazed upon the license plate in front of him with its letters and numbers, he almost wished for a car.
- His vehicle has sustained no damage whatsoever - just a bent license plate.
- We can rattle off the number of a license plate that could lead to a sniper's arrest.
- In Washington D.C., a cop threatened to arrest me once because I didn't have a front license plate on my car.
- Before he got in his car I couldn't help but remember his license plate.
- She strained in the bright morning sunlight to see the license plate.
- Whenever they spot an out-of-state license plate, have them use crayons to color in that state on their map.
- She looked at the license plate as the red car drove off.
- Once he enters it in there he could have it look up the license plate to find out who was driving it.
- She focused on his license plate, but couldn't really record the number.
- The victim also caught several numbers on the license plate as well as the make of the car.
- They also ripped the license plate off it and took it with them to take somewhere else so they wouldn't identify the car right away.
- A license plate belonging to a car was found next to the body.
- That's when you catch the snoop in your rear-view mirror, methodically recording your license plate in a notepad.
English has borrowed many of the following foreign expressions of parting, so you’ve probably encountered some of these ways to say goodbye in other languages.
Many words formed by the addition of the suffix –ster are now obsolete - which ones are due a resurgence?
As their breed names often attest, dogs are a truly international bunch. Let’s take a look at 12 different dog breed names and their backstories.