In English, many things are named after a particular country – but have you ever wondered what those things are called in those countries?
- In contrast to higher plants, lichens and mosses are capable of tolerating full dehydration.
- Yellow dyes from native lichens and tree bark were replaced by Old Fustic, a flowering plant, and quercitron bark, both from North America.
- The primary objective of this study was to document the lichens, bryophytes and vascular plants present at the High Line.
- In that position it will be only partially visible to visitors and effectively inhibit the growth of lichens.
- It seemed incredible that anything could live here, but different-coloured lichens clung to the rocks and gave them their sunset tones.
- Despite the wide diversity of the basic growth forms, all lichens have a similar internal morphology.
- Prior to data collection, samples of lichens were collected from tree trunks at twelve of the study sites.
- A profusion of mosses, liverworts, lichens and ferns cover the woodland floor and festoon tree trunks and branches.
- Ancient fluorescent lichens cling to rocks, and fluffy Arctic cotton softens the harshness of the landscape.
- There are a lot of mosses and lichens, simple in that respect, but it provides a habitat for such a range and complexity of wildlife that come ashore to breed.
- Mosses, ferns and green and white lichens sprawled all over the wet rock wall that bounded the inner curve of the levada.
- A large number of invertebrates, bryophytes, and lichens are also likely to depend on large dead trees.
- In addition to the algae in lichens, bacteria are invariably associated with the lichen thallus.
- The elements and the wood of the tree have fed the lichens and mosses.
- It is thus important to determine the order of magnitude of the acceleration effect on biogenic weathering by soil microorganisms, lichens and vascular plants.
- A special class of these, oleananes, are formed by flowering plants, some ferns and lichens.
- The culture in the yoghurt brings up a weather-beaten effect within weeks and encourages the growth of lichens.
- Although they seem barren, the flat rock outcrops, known as pavement rock, support some lichens and mosses.
- These include the lichens, mosses and liverworts, all of which are worth a closer look through a magnifying glass in order to appreciate their true beauty.
- I fancy that it had been there long before the avenue was constructed, for the grey tiles were stained with lichens, and the walls were mildewed and discoloured with age.
English has borrowed many of the following foreign expressions of parting, so you’ve probably encountered some of these ways to say goodbye in other languages.
Many words formed by the addition of the suffix –ster are now obsolete - which ones are due a resurgence?
As their breed names often attest, dogs are a truly international bunch. Let’s take a look at 12 different dog breed names and their backstories.