In English, many things are named after a particular country – but have you ever wondered what those things are called in those countries?
1salvavidas masculinesocorrista femininebañero masculine River Platebañera feminine River Plate
- Interventions tested ranged from lifeguard training and printed materials to warning signage.
- Normally, about 1,100 lifeguards patrol beaches and pools on weekdays while up to 1,300 lifeguards work on Sundays.
- The award was in recognition of his work with regard to pool lifeguard training throughout the country.
- Then I see the beach, the empty lifeguard stand, the jetties.
- Our volunteer lifeguards are a staple of the Australian summer.
- ‘It is mandatory that each hotel and tourist spot employs lifeguards at their swimming pools,’ he added.
- There was a lifeguard on duty, though nobody was in any real danger.
- He said wages for contract lifeguards were reasonable and the department has no difficulty hiring contract employees.
- I worked as a lifeguard on the beach, like I've done the previous few summers.
- A pool lifeguard course will also commence on August 22nd to 25th.
- Several people managed to alert the lifeguards, who brought Davis to safety.
- The committee needs a fully qualified lifeguard from the opening day.
- He ran back towards a designated swimming beach and alerted a lifeguard who pulled the young boy from the water.
- He would also like to try to work as a lifeguard at a swimming pool, because he has never had this chance before and finds it an interesting challenge.
- Swimming pools must have lifeguards and sanitary requirements must be taken care of.
- There were three policemen by the lifeguard stand - park police on bikes.
- He said, however, the department would review wages for contract lifeguards next summer.
- He was much tanner, as a result of his summer job as the lifeguard at the local swimming pool.
- With so many fit young men away at war, the beaches were kept safe by young volunteer lifeguards.
- I barely took notice of the lone empty lifeguard chair.
English has borrowed many of the following foreign expressions of parting, so you’ve probably encountered some of these ways to say goodbye in other languages.
Many words formed by the addition of the suffix –ster are now obsolete - which ones are due a resurgence?
As their breed names often attest, dogs are a truly international bunch. Let’s take a look at 12 different dog breed names and their backstories.