In English, many things are named after a particular country – but have you ever wondered what those things are called in those countries?
1salvavidas masculinesocorrista femininebañero masculine River Platebañera feminine River Plate
- Swimming pools must have lifeguards and sanitary requirements must be taken care of.
- There were three policemen by the lifeguard stand - park police on bikes.
- A pool lifeguard course will also commence on August 22nd to 25th.
- The award was in recognition of his work with regard to pool lifeguard training throughout the country.
- He said wages for contract lifeguards were reasonable and the department has no difficulty hiring contract employees.
- Several people managed to alert the lifeguards, who brought Davis to safety.
- He ran back towards a designated swimming beach and alerted a lifeguard who pulled the young boy from the water.
- He said, however, the department would review wages for contract lifeguards next summer.
- Our volunteer lifeguards are a staple of the Australian summer.
- With so many fit young men away at war, the beaches were kept safe by young volunteer lifeguards.
- I worked as a lifeguard on the beach, like I've done the previous few summers.
- There was a lifeguard on duty, though nobody was in any real danger.
- He would also like to try to work as a lifeguard at a swimming pool, because he has never had this chance before and finds it an interesting challenge.
- Then I see the beach, the empty lifeguard stand, the jetties.
- Interventions tested ranged from lifeguard training and printed materials to warning signage.
- Normally, about 1,100 lifeguards patrol beaches and pools on weekdays while up to 1,300 lifeguards work on Sundays.
- The committee needs a fully qualified lifeguard from the opening day.
- ‘It is mandatory that each hotel and tourist spot employs lifeguards at their swimming pools,’ he added.
- He was much tanner, as a result of his summer job as the lifeguard at the local swimming pool.
- I barely took notice of the lone empty lifeguard chair.
English has borrowed many of the following foreign expressions of parting, so you’ve probably encountered some of these ways to say goodbye in other languages.
Many words formed by the addition of the suffix –ster are now obsolete - which ones are due a resurgence?
As their breed names often attest, dogs are a truly international bunch. Let’s take a look at 12 different dog breed names and their backstories.