In English, many things are named after a particular country – but have you ever wondered what those things are called in those countries?
1salvavidassocorristabañero masculine River Platebañera feminine River Plate
- Then I see the beach, the empty lifeguard stand, the jetties.
- He ran back towards a designated swimming beach and alerted a lifeguard who pulled the young boy from the water.
- The award was in recognition of his work with regard to pool lifeguard training throughout the country.
- There was a lifeguard on duty, though nobody was in any real danger.
- ‘It is mandatory that each hotel and tourist spot employs lifeguards at their swimming pools,’ he added.
- Swimming pools must have lifeguards and sanitary requirements must be taken care of.
- Interventions tested ranged from lifeguard training and printed materials to warning signage.
- I barely took notice of the lone empty lifeguard chair.
- Our volunteer lifeguards are a staple of the Australian summer.
- The committee needs a fully qualified lifeguard from the opening day.
- A pool lifeguard course will also commence on August 22nd to 25th.
- I worked as a lifeguard on the beach, like I've done the previous few summers.
- He said, however, the department would review wages for contract lifeguards next summer.
- He said wages for contract lifeguards were reasonable and the department has no difficulty hiring contract employees.
- He was much tanner, as a result of his summer job as the lifeguard at the local swimming pool.
- There were three policemen by the lifeguard stand - park police on bikes.
- With so many fit young men away at war, the beaches were kept safe by young volunteer lifeguards.
- He would also like to try to work as a lifeguard at a swimming pool, because he has never had this chance before and finds it an interesting challenge.
- Several people managed to alert the lifeguards, who brought Davis to safety.
- Normally, about 1,100 lifeguards patrol beaches and pools on weekdays while up to 1,300 lifeguards work on Sundays.
English has borrowed many of the following foreign expressions of parting, so you’ve probably encountered some of these ways to say goodbye in other languages.
Many words formed by the addition of the suffix –ster are now obsolete - which ones are due a resurgence?
As their breed names often attest, dogs are a truly international bunch. Let’s take a look at 12 different dog breed names and their backstories.