In English, many things are named after a particular country – but have you ever wondered what those things are called in those countries?
- She made the mistake of looking up to make a cruel statement when Nicolette saw her face and lit in to her more.
- The magazine gleefully lit into its competitors in its May 14 issue, but it makes its own share of blunders.
- But instead I sighed and got up and stepped into the fray to mediate, whereupon grandma entered and lit into me.
- One student said something to the effect of ‘everyone calm down’ and then Zack lit into that guy.
- He lit into the head of his National Security Forces.
English has borrowed many of the following foreign expressions of parting, so you’ve probably encountered some of these ways to say goodbye in other languages.
Many words formed by the addition of the suffix –ster are now obsolete - which ones are due a resurgence?
As their breed names often attest, dogs are a truly international bunch. Let’s take a look at 12 different dog breed names and their backstories.