In English, many things are named after a particular country – but have you ever wondered what those things are called in those countries?
1largarse informalmandarse a cambiar Andes informalmandarse a mudar River Plate informal
- After breakfast he tries to get some exercise until about 10.15 am, then he reads newspapers, does crosswords and reads his books for the rest of the afternoon before dinner and lights out about 9pm.
- Janie then lit out of the house with her shotgun, telling Pa she was off to find Lyddie June.
- He was the quintessential American: the Easterner who headed West, lighting out for the Territories, looking back over his shoulder only to make sure no one was following.
- We are a society of people who light out for the territory when problems come along.
- After my assignation in the piney woods, I lit out and did not look back.
- His memoir talks about how he gave up the life of a photographer in London and lit out for Paris and how I lit out after him.
- Although I was wearing tennis shoes - a big ‘no-no’ when you're in snake country - I lit out at a full run behind a huge black snake I spotted.
- Two weeks ago they lit out again, this time to surrender.
- MacAdams, a white poet and journalist from Texas who lit out for the cool of New York, is part of it too.
- Just after his twentieth birthday, in 1916, Alves Reis lit out for the Portuguese colony of Angola to make his fortune.
- I looked at Hanse and nodded and we lit out again.
- A bunch of us lit out from Maryland and headed down through the Allegheny Mountains to the southwest corner of West Virginia.
- People have lit out after him and it just transforms the whole sport.
- In 1975, the twenty year old Heimo Korth lit out for Alaska, built a fourteen by fourteen foot cabin, and married a native woman.
English has borrowed many of the following foreign expressions of parting, so you’ve probably encountered some of these ways to say goodbye in other languages.
Many words formed by the addition of the suffix –ster are now obsolete - which ones are due a resurgence?
As their breed names often attest, dogs are a truly international bunch. Let’s take a look at 12 different dog breed names and their backstories.