In English, many things are named after a particular country – but have you ever wondered what those things are called in those countries?
- For more than 100 years, Wisconsin lighthouses have guided ships through our Great Lakes and inland waters.
- Except for eight privately-owned towers, all but a handful of Maine's lighthouses now have local support groups.
- Our lighthouses are as diverse as our towns.
- A listing of lighthouses in the National Park System can be found at the NPS Maritime Parks page.
- I do not have an official listing of lighthouses in Newfoundland, but I have compiled a list of 37 of them.
- The students will work in cooperative groups to identify different characteristics and facts concerning lighthouses and their history.
- In the years since then, the Park Service has continued to keep the old lighthouse in operating condition in case its unromantic replacement ever breaks down.
- In 1995 an embarrassing conversation between a lighthouse and an aircraft carrier was recorded by the Chief of Naval Operations, the transcript of which leaked out to the general public.
- Old military buildings can be found near the lighthouse, remnants of the site's military importance during World War II.
- His sun-valve was fitted in a number of lighthouses powered by acetylene gas.
- Today you can marvel in their beauty at the eleven state lighthouses open to the public.
- I will be adding additional lighthouses to the site as time and travel permit me to do so.
- And because of dangerous sailing conditions and flat coastline in the region, the construction of a lighthouse was necessary.
- There are also many lighthouses on Lake Superior and Lake Michigan that you can easily see from your car but they are not open to the public.
- Boarding up the lighthouse, he moved his family and belongings into a new light station at the bottom of the hill.
English has borrowed many of the following foreign expressions of parting, so you’ve probably encountered some of these ways to say goodbye in other languages.
Many words formed by the addition of the suffix –ster are now obsolete - which ones are due a resurgence?
As their breed names often attest, dogs are a truly international bunch. Let’s take a look at 12 different dog breed names and their backstories.