In English, many things are named after a particular country – but have you ever wondered what those things are called in those countries?
- From here, an archway opens through to a small kitchen with linoleum flooring.
- My weighted footsteps echoed off the sterile, cold walls and polished linoleum floors.
- The room was linoleum instead of cement, and the kennels were filled with cats.
- Paintwork was faded and there was linoleum on the floor where carpets should have been.
- Immediately ahead is the kitchen with linoleum flooring and plumbing for a washing machine.
- Somehow, he cannot cross the threshold and walk on its linoleum flooring.
- These repair techniques can be used on vinyl tiles, vinyl sheet floor covering or linoleum.
- He flung a butter knife at my head and it clanged noisily off the wallpaper and onto the abused linoleum floor.
- You may wish to wax your linoleum or vinyl floor after a thorough wash, but there's no point in doing it too often.
- I awoke again in a dazzling fluorescent haze, my ears filled with the soft rushing noise of rubber wheels on linoleum.
- I had the students trace the piece of linoleum on the Manila paper so they could draw the exact size they needed.
- An exposed brick arch leads to the kitchen which has original floor tiles covered with linoleum.
- If you live in an older home and haven't replaced the vinyl or linoleum, built up wax will discolor it.
- The floor is covered with thick black linoleum and the walls are acoustically treated with an asbestos compound.
- Choose an area with linoleum or tiled floors in case of mishaps or accidents so the area is easily cleaned.
- She worked her way back and forth until the entire linoleum floor shone like polished glass.
- True linoleum is usually also made with wood and cork fibers, and mounted on a natural jute backing.
- Since the floor was linoleum, all he had to do was wipe, so as not to disturb anybody with the vacuum.
- The family bathroom has linoleum flooring, black wall tiles and a linen cupboard.
- To the rear, the kitchen has linoleum flooring and is fitted with a range of wall and floor units.
English has borrowed many of the following foreign expressions of parting, so you’ve probably encountered some of these ways to say goodbye in other languages.
Many words formed by the addition of the suffix –ster are now obsolete - which ones are due a resurgence?
As their breed names often attest, dogs are a truly international bunch. Let’s take a look at 12 different dog breed names and their backstories.