In English, many things are named after a particular country – but have you ever wondered what those things are called in those countries?
1.1(of items)lista femininerelación feminine formalshopping/guest list — lista de la compra/de invitados
- the active list — el personal en servicio activo del ejército
- the A-list, B-list — la lista A, lista B
- Filing is going to join the growing list of things I no longer do.
- Needless to say, he dropped from our list of candidates in a hurry.
- The book contains 11 chapters, plus a prologue and epilogue, and an extensive suggested reading list.
- He used the names on his ID list to transfer thousands of pounds from their credit card accounts into the fraudulent accounts.
- Budget shortfalls and slipping numbers for the upcoming show in Atlanta have added to the organization's growing to-do list.
- An extensive reference list is provided at the end of each chapter.
- You can see a list of all nominees in last month's announcement.
- Following is a list of readily available foods that are high in carbohydrates.
- Ask each firm that you are looking at for a complete client list going back no more than six years.
- Heading the impressive guest list is Australian Prime Minister John Howard, who will open the conference.
- He is fourth on the Braves' all-time hit list, but he is streaky at the plate.
- I had compiled a short list in my head of who I needed to make amends with.
- He was picked from a list of nominees submitted by political parties and civic groups.
- The list of names is under constant review in each area, by a group made up of representatives from participating agencies.
- You first make a long short list by browsing through the hundreds of profiles.
- The extensive wine list has been reworked to a more manageable level.
- Other items on the wish list include caching support for portables and secure signing of resources.
- Parents have a lengthy shopping list for the next Government.
- Readers have rallied by sending cheques towards a shopping list of essential items.
- Following is a list of just some of these heroes of the profession.
1.2(books published)catálogo masculinea strong educational list — un importante catálogo de títulos educativos
2lists pluralHistoryliza feminine
1(enumerate)(ingredients/events/names) hacer una lista de(events/ingredients/names) enumerar
- Boomer listed four key technical aspects of her improved fly technique.
- First, it lists four situations in which bad faith can be found.
- For this reason we have listed useful links and further information about this worm below.
- I found a page listing what people called each other.
- The interviewee then lists the four demands of his movement.
- The district website lists the following reasons for pet owners to get their dogs licensed.
- Yes, according to the publisher of this one, who lists another four such volumes on the back page.
- While there is no formal study or survey to ascertain the reason, the education department lists the following causes.
- Michael leaves the priesthood and he talks about his own guess about a colleague who's done the same, and he lists reasons why the colleague has left the priesthood.
- Then he listed the reasons why, which were numerous.
- It also lists the files included in each installed archive and checks to make sure they all exist.
- To include an index listing the women writers under each category would have been extremely productive for further research.
- The judge listed the various reasons we might be dismissed from serving, beginning with knowing the defendant or any of the lawyers or court officials.
- Below I've listed the reasons why I think the British public has been prepared on this occasion to dig so deeply.
- In each of them the voters will cast a ballot for the party they prefer and will list the four candidates they have chosen.
- In order to give the reader confidence that they understand the system we list four statements to check.
- Four students listed miscarriages as significant losses for them.
- The box lists the six main reasons, which are discussed below.
- As well, there is a section listing a variety of therapies and practitioners who specialize in back problems.
- I am using the following code in my Sidebar template to list the four most recent comments on this weblog.
2(include)incluirhe's/it's not listed — no aparece / figura en la lista
- he's listed as missing — figura en la lista de desaparecidos
- (in UK) listed building — edificio protegido
- Other interests listed on his official website are reading and playing golf and bridge.
- The careers listed under the two professional headings were grouped together to form the high category.
- Thirteen types of beer were listed in the Appendix, which certainly seems exhaustive.
- You're young enough to look great and old enough to afford all the cool fashion items listed here.
- The surveillance targets' names are not listed in the reports.
- Under Employment companies are listed alphabetically by name within the United States, then in other countries.
- They have the directory listed in number order.
- Check with the suppliers listed at the end of this article for mail orders.
- The major publications which are referred to in the text are listed here in alphabetical order by author.
- Within genera, species are listed chronologically in the order they were named.
- Only three appear among the 55 interviewees listed at the end of the book.
- Species available when developing the key are listed alphabetically in the Appendix.
- Their names are listed on pages 22-23.
- Currently some companies sell natural products that don't contain the ingredients listed on the labels.
- He then launched a second attempt, but no date has yet been listed for this hearing.
- There is a phone number listed at the bottom of their press releases, however.
- Their newly launched Boston website listed only a phone number.
- He is thicker, at least a little, and listed at 205 pounds.
- There are many more outstanding local wineries than the favorites listed here.
- Written contents of the placards will be listed in an appendix to the Laser Safety Policy.
3Finance(securities/stocks) cotizarlisted securities — títulos cotizados en Bolsa / admitidos a cotización oficial masculine
- listed company — compañía que cotiza en Bolsa
1escora femininea starboard list, a list to starboard — una escora a estribor
- The gallery walls are lined with marine ply, angled to give an echo of the list of a Ship under sail.
- Due to the list, the bulkhead door of the engine-room would not close properly and the compartment was slowly but steadily flooding.
- The hull has broken amidships and the wreck has a slight list to port either side of the break.
- The ship started listing to starboard, about 10-12 degrees, then it started to right itself.
- With power lost and the ship listing, the wounded and survivors were transferred to USS Patterson and USS Blue.
- The crew of the trawler had abandoned ship and the vessel was listing badly.
- At one end of the long tarmac at the base a portion of an aircraft fuselage, apparently being disassembled for scrap, is visible, listing to one side like a wrecked ship.
- Although the vessel was listing to starboard, the skipper continued towards a small island in spite of warnings from the group.
- Ten hours after the fire broke out, the charred ferry was listing to one side as smoke poured out from a load of dried coconut on fire in the cargo area.
- It listed badly to one side and wobbled as it flew.
- Furious waves swept the deck; the little boat listed badly, about to capsize.
- In a second life-saving air-sea rescue, 16 Russian seamen were plucked from a 6000 ton cargo ship listing heavily in a force nine gale off the Devon coast yesterday.
- No lifeboat drill had been given and because of the way the ship listed, it was impossible to lower the lifeboats anyway.
- Although listing to starboard she was allowed to leave after an inspection.
- On the seabed, the ship looked massive, listing slightly to starboard and perfectly placed in a sand-chute which plunged over a wall.
- Almost simultaneously her lookouts sighted a large fishing vessel listing heavily about five miles away.
- Was it her imagination, or was the ship listing to one side?
- Several cars apparently broke loose and the ship was listing about 20 degrees.
- He is back in today's newspaper, and listing heavily to port.
- The ship once again listed violently to one side.
- As the boat listed heavily, panic began to take hold.
- They could feel the ship listing to port from flooding in the lower compartments.
- The ship was listing to one side in its resting place, at the end of the long, deep furrow it had plowed up in the valley.
1(desire)whate'er you list — lo que se te antoje
English has borrowed many of the following foreign expressions of parting, so you’ve probably encountered some of these ways to say goodbye in other languages.
Many words formed by the addition of the suffix –ster are now obsolete - which ones are due a resurgence?
As their breed names often attest, dogs are a truly international bunch. Let’s take a look at 12 different dog breed names and their backstories.