In English, many things are named after a particular country – but have you ever wondered what those things are called in those countries?
- You may feel tired and listless physically and need to balance your diet, manage stress and take care of health problems.
- She was listless, helpless, but not suicidal, and used cocaine sporadically.
- The streets are so listless and dull that every time I walk down one I can't help feeling they want me to be sad too.
- A full stomach draws blood to the belly and away from the brain, leaving you listless and dull.
- Pride, as they say, is all that is left to play for, but even that appears in short supply in two listless, morale-free, rugby nations.
- My suspicions were confirmed on tasting the dish - the sauce turned out to be a drab and listless affair, making the chewy meat even more of a misery to eat.
- After seemingly endless weeks of constant commotion, they appear listless and lethargic.
- He seemed listless and uninterested at times last year - and ineffective at others.
- I could smell the electricity hanging in the listless air.
- He had been listless, short of stamina and unable to make his mark on the match, all of which is more troubling than his miss in the penalty shoot-out.
- Some of the prose seems, dare I say it, listless, almost bored.
- The tempo never varies from a listless crawl; the vocals, rhythms and arrangements all struggle to stay in the background.
- He brought an extra life to the character who stands listless before a deluge of tragedies as his children die in succession.
- This is not a good show for a listless Sunday afternoon.
- Her friend seemed so apathetic and listless she wanted to shake her.
- I was listless, too sick and weak to say much of anything to defend myself.
- The tigers paced desperately and the gorillas and chimps seemed listless and apathetic.
- When we lose touch with our authentic desire, we become listless and apathetic.
- The change was dramatic: he became listless and unresponsive.
- On Sunday, they were listless throughout and the two goal winning margin is a flattering one from their perspective.
English has borrowed many of the following foreign expressions of parting, so you’ve probably encountered some of these ways to say goodbye in other languages.
Many words formed by the addition of the suffix –ster are now obsolete - which ones are due a resurgence?
As their breed names often attest, dogs are a truly international bunch. Let’s take a look at 12 different dog breed names and their backstories.