- First one must register his anti-Idealism, his antipathy toward the idea becoming metonymical litotes for such.
- The manager, a man adept in the use of litotes, said: ‘It wasn't the best game of pure football in the world.‘
- Yet this definition fails to explain instances of litotes, or understatement, which is often classified as a kind of irony.
- But, if we follow Schwarzbach, Dickens's description of the street mire in Holborn is, if anything, understated - ‘mud’ is not hyperbole, but litotes.
- Next thing you know, they'll be using dramatic irony, metaphor, bathos, puns, parody, litotes and… satire.